• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Correcting peeling paint for FHA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rhino

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Maryland
Just got a call regarding peeling paint. It is acceptable to paint over the prior paint or does it have to be scrapped of and then re-painted.

JoTetherow

Professional Status
State
Nebraska
Just got a call regarding peeling paint. It is acceptable to paint over the prior paint or does it have to be scrapped of and then re-painted.

painting over peeling paint defeats the purpose of painting.

scrape and paint.

Rhino

Professional Status
State
Maryland
I found out more info myself regarding the paint issue

If the paint is cracking, scaling, peeling, or loosening on any interior or exterior surfaces, the affected areas must be thoroughly washed, sanded, scraped or wire-brushed to remove all of the defective paint (machine sanding or use of a blow torch is not acceptable). A ground cloth should be used to catch particles of paint and surface removed and a thorough clean up should be accomplished after the surface has been prepared for painting. All materials cleaned up should be removed from the possibility of ingestion by humans. The treated surface must be repainted by a paint that closely matches the existing color, using a minimum of two coats of paint unless the affected areas are covered, when appropriate, by a material such as plywood, plaster or other suitable material.

timd354

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Maryland
As an appraiser, never ever recommend to anyone how to correct a possible lead based paint problem as scraping, sanding, wire brushing, etc can cause the lead paint dust to get into the air where it may be inhaled. Just make the appraisal subject to the repair or removal of the peeling paint and recommend that it be done by a licsensed painting contractor....anything more than that may subject you to serious liability issues.

TJSum

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Maryland
Nine times out of ten when you go back to do the FHA compliance inspection all the paint chips will be laying on the ground. I guess they are left there for the local toddlers to pick up and munch on when they are hungry.m2:

Mike Boyd

Elite Member
Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
California
Only the "affected" area needs to be scraped.

Fewer chips for the kids.

Mike Garrett RAA

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Colorado
I say..."properly prepare the surface and paint with two coats of paint consistent with the present paint scheme". Never had a problem with that.

VA has this comment in their manual...

"Properly prepare and paint (list what needs to be painted) in a workmanlike manner consistent with the existing improvements".

timd354

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Maryland
I say..."properly prepare the surface and paint with two coats of paint consistent with the present paint scheme". Never had a problem with that.

VA has this comment in their manual...

"Properly prepare and paint (list what needs to be painted) in a workmanlike manner consistent with the existing improvements".

I like both your comment and the VA comment...short, to the point, and does not expose the appraiser to any addtional liability!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks