• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Cost To Cure?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alpenglow

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Alaska
I am a bit new to appraising and ran in to this when I went into the crawl space of a house. There is log rounds and cinder blocks holding the home up. I live in Alaska and the building standards are a bit loose in rural areas. The house is 24' x 42'. I am not sure whether I should note it in the report and let the bank decide whether it is an issue or put a cost to cure in for any changes that should be made.

upload_2016-9-20_13-48-3.png

J Grant

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Florida
why not do both? Put it in report so back can see it, and if possible provide a rough estimate cost to cure as well.

J Grant

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Florida
Looks like a nice cozy home for a bear......

Howard Klahr

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Florida
I live in Alaska and the building standards are a bit loose in rural areas.
But there are building standards correct? If so, inquire with the appropriate officials. You don't need to be too specific only if what you observed is acceptable.

KONA

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
California
Serious safety issue. Requires Professional Engineering evaluation. This is earthquake country.

Mike Garrett RAA

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Colorado
I'm glad I don't appraise in Alaska. Wouldn't have clue as the cost to cure that. Besides...it's too damn cold.

Spent 13 months up there in the early 60s...that was enough for me.

Amy Perkins

Professional Status
State
Tennessee
The subject property appears to have some foundational issues, display photo. The appraiser is not a structural engineer. It is recommended that a structural engineer estimate the cost, therefore all structural issues are excluded from the report.

Tom D

Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Pennsylvania
well, how long has it been this way? was it built this way originally, and hasn't fallen apart. building codes in rural alaska? i live in a very old big urban area where a $20 bill, to the inspector, in the 1980's took care of the building codes. by any chance, out of curiosity, did you ask the owners about it? they might have given you a good answer. my bet it has to do with the perma frost & tundra. rural alaska, god bless you. i don't like driving more than 20 minutes to get to the property.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks