• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

County Appraiser Trainee Job

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tetsuo Hosaka

Freshman Member
Finally I was able to take the State Exam and passed it first time.

Since I have heard so many tough situations on finding a mentor, I decided to apply for a county appraiser trainee position at San Diego County.
I got a reply from the county office two days ago saying that I made a score of 100, which is the highest to obtain.
I suppose if any vacancy available I will be an immediate candidate for that position.
The county pays about 35k a year for a trainee position. I cannot waste this opportunity.

I wonder what I should be doing to secure this position and the job would be like.

Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
Florida
Congratulations!

I don't know what might help getting the County job. I do know it's very different than lender fee appraising. If I can get the appraiser that comes in and helps me sometimes to write up something for you tomorrow night, I will. She's an experienced Cert Res that needed steady money and the benefits that the County offered and has been there almost 3 years now, so she understands both sides now.

Restrain

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Florida
A County Appraiser, if it's like the ones here in Texas, is a good place to begin. You learn the types of homes, the market, measuring homes, etc. However, it is NOT fee appraising, but you will make valuable contacts and gain valuable skills. Also, you get BENEFITS - - health, retirement, JOB SECURITY.

Good luck

Roger

Mike Garrett RAA

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Colorado
Perfect place to build your hours toward certification. Many people would kill to have job security, benefits, and a 9 to 5 job while training. Remember the benefit package is worth at least 20% of your base salary so it is more like $42,000 to start. You might like it so much you decide to stay and have a retirement down the road. Good luck! ;)

Tim The Enchanter

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
California
You should probably be patient. It is a governmental body after all. :D Other than that all I can say is good luck. Sounds like a pretty nice deal if you can snag it. :beer:

wyecoyote

Professional Status
Gvmt Agency, FNMA, HUD, VA etc.
State
Washington
Tetsuo,

Good to hear that you got a job offer. The only problem is that it is a goverment job and they do move slowllllly in hiring. Congratulations and although you may make less money in a year than a fee appraiser it is job security and the benefits. Like Mike G. stated figure about 20% on top of base salary. And there are other hidden perks as well. Some counties provide vehicle while others pay mileage or a base mileage pay. Some provide up to date computers like laptops for field work. All things to consider in the position.

Ryan

Jo Ann Meyer Stratton

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Arizona
Check out the article in the May 19, 2003 Appraisal Buzz Newsletter by Patrick O'Connor. He also refers to an article in the AI's Valuation Insights and Prespectives magazine, first quarter 2003. But working in an assessor's office is a great way to gain knowledge, experience and training for becoming a fee appraiser some day down the road. I had 14 years of experience before becomeing a fee appraiser that has become invaluable to me. I also earned my first designation from the IAAO, International Association of Assessing Officers. They and the AI were both formed back in the 1930s. So my recommendation would be if you are offered the job--take it!! And then take every seminar, class, etc you are have the chance to take. Find the web site for the IAAO and see what information they can offer. Check to see if there is an IAAO chapter in your area, attend their meetings. Good luck!

Aaron Hayashi

Freshman Member
Professional Status
State
California
Learn and understand the important points of Prop 13, it is the basis of property tax law in California. The finer points are on most California Assessor's Office websites.
Hours at the assessor's office are accepted by the OREA for your license, and classes by taught by The State Board of Equalization can be petitioned for begining/continuing education.

I'm currently doing 4 x 10hr days at the assessor's office and fee appriasals on the side. You will never get rich working for the government, but you will get the contacts, benefits, retirement, and job security.

Good Luck.

Tetsuo Hosaka

Freshman Member
Thank you for the informative comments, which will help not only for me but also for those who want to apply for the county positions.
If I did not read the posts in this forum, I would never have come across this position.

The application process was easy. I just applied on line and sent my documents through fax. Then they normally reply the evaluation score within 10 days. In my case 2 months.
I suspect that there should be enough applicants to evaluate at this time.

Anyway I am glad that I would be able to collect my property tax back soon.

Mike Garrett RAA

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Colorado
Didn't even think about 4 x 10 hours. What a great concept. Every week is a three day holiday. Too bad I am too old for government service.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks