• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Cover Letter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael Richards

Freshman Member
Below is the copy of the cover letter I plan to send out. As discussed in another part of the forum, I'm going to paperclip a dollar bill to the outside of the coverletter/resume. Please respond with thoughts or changes. :eyecrazy: Please Note: The first line is 3 times larger than the rest of the font and it is bold.

TRAINEES DON'T HAVE A CLUE HOW TO APPRAISE!!!!!

There have not been truer words written, and I am no exception.
However, this is where you come in.
I am looking for a mentor that can guide me in the appraisal profession.

I am different from the average newbie that contacts you.

I have a large exclusive customer base already committed.
I absolutely expect to be responsible securing all of my assignments.
I have past experience with insurance appraisals as I am an insurance agent.
I have the flexibility to do this either part time or full time depending upon your schedule.
I am highly knowledgable of computer technology.

One final thought:

The enclosed Dollar Bill represents what I bring to your organization.
A solid money-maker that
n supplies my own customer base
n does not require rigid employment expatiations
n is highly adaptable and is an extremely fast detailed oriented learner.

Please remember, at one time you were a trainee that someone took a chance on.

I am simply asking you for that same chance.

Farm Gal

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Nebraska
1. Use a spellchecker before you send it out.
2. Recognise that many of us are anticipating a severe slowdown in the refinance secition of the appraisal market.
3. Do some research on which firms you send this missive to: if you can find specific companies which have a balanced diversified cleint base, you may well set yourself up above the hordes of semi-trained folk let go from thier refi based sweat-shops. You might ask some estate lawyers who they use: most diversified shops do at least SOME estate/divorce work.

Not over the top, but might use a little trimming~ example: I'd erradicate 'newbie' in favor of 'applicant' to set a slightly more professional tone...

last thought: sorta expensive cold-call method. <_<

Mike Garrett RAA

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Colorado
Go for it!

Include me on your mailing list....I need a dollar :rofl: :rofl:

Mike Garrett, RAA
Affiliated Appraisers, Inc.
2910 N. Powers Blvd, #332
Colorado Springs, CO 80922

Be sure to use the spell checker!

Tom Foster

Professional Status
State
California
I like your attitude. You sure got my attention Michael. I'm sure glad appraisals can't be outsourced overseas - YET. To al l the folks who lost their job and are now looking to do appraisals, those bitter misfortunes don't alter the basic, underlying truth of what is happening in this country.

Businesses are looking for and will continue to look for low priced sources of labor.

They want it as cheap as they can get it. If they don't find it here, they will find it in other countries, and they will take their money and their jobs to those other countries. We can all hate this, we can all cry about it, we can call it unfair, wrong, and even anti-American—but that rage will not alter the reality of an emergent global economy with global sources of not only raw materials and production but also that most precious of all assets: human sweat shop labor........

If you are a good appraiser - say it loud and say it proud !!!!!

Tom Foster

Professional Status
State
California
It is no surprise that my post might have hit a raw nerve with some folks, because it's no secret that this is an extremely emotional issue.

Jobs disappearing, careers ruined, lives turned upside down, the comfortable and predictable turned into the chaotic—major disruptions in business models and competitive patterns always claim a pretty wide spectrum of victims, most of whom were guilty of nothing other than carrying out the responsibilities of their jobs.

Only someone without a soul could view this with a shrug and say, "Too bad for them."

TC

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Pennsylvania
Tom,

I couldn't agree with you more about the constant relocation of jobs out of this country. And as far as appraisals being outsourced, it is happening. I got an email a while ago offering to do data entry of the appraisal form, sender was from India. There's a shock.

As for Mr. Richards, good luck. I used to send my resume printed in bright orange paper hoping to get noticed, hey, it was the 70's :D

TC

Tom Foster

Professional Status
State
California
So they are outsoucing to India already ???

Was the property appraised in the USA ???

Do I wish it were otherwise? In some ways, very much so—

As the father of two teen-age boys, I wonder what these upheavals will mean for them when they enter the job market.

As an American, I want to see this country economically powerful, with plentiful opportunities for all who seek them. And as a middle-aged adult, it is heartbreaking to see the pain these changes are inflicting on so many, particularly knowing that more will meet the same evil fate.

Mickey Stevens

Professional Status
State
Dom. Republic
The concept of someone in India typing appraisals is interesting. I got an extended tech support warranty on a computer a couple of years ago and the tech support people were in India, I think. I bought the extended warranty on the phone so I could get the tech support. When I got the paperwork in the mail my name and address were both mispelled (really bad). I recently called a tech support line for help with some wireless networking stuff I bought. I think the guy was in India or somewhere like that. He would tell me to do something and then I would wait and wait (2 or 3 minutes) for him to give me the next step. What should have took about 10 or 15 minutes took over an hour. I guess he had to translate everything or something. It was very annoying.

Michael Richards

Freshman Member
Mr. Garrett,

I will gladly send my dollar to you, if you come out to Indiana and come with me on my first 50 appraisals.... :D

Lee Ann,

Thank you for reminding me about the other work that a lawyer would need an appraiser for.

My friend has a very large firm and he has associates that has all kinds of specialities. :idea:

Rich Hahn

Professional Status
General Public
State
Colorado
For some reason its always a Red Flag when a newbie comes to our office with clients...

How does soemone with no experience and no track record have clients?
People who have never written a report come asking for work with clients?

We show them the door ASAP...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks