• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

CPA + MAI salary?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GDavidson87

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Appraiser Trainee
Im a 20 year old accounting and economics senior in college now. i sit for the CPA exam in about a year and a half but am also interested in getting an MAI in the next 5-7 years--possibly go to Texas A&M, John Hopkins or another Appraisal Institute approved RE masters program to have the credits applied toward MAI designation....

you appraisers are good at valuation.. so what kind of salary would you think i could pull in with a CPA and MAI??? i'm at that point in my college career where i need to start making some decisions about which career paths to follow and info about salary is EXTREMELY had to find on the internet (most say 60K and i think thats low-balling it-- i dont believe it)

PLEASE HELP!!!

Garrett

Richard Carlsen

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Michigan
Not much unless you go back and retake Typing 101.

And with an attitude of asking how much you could "pull in", if I were in the hiring mode, I would have to think twice about taking on someone who just wants to "pull in" big bucks.

Your income will and should be commensurate with you worth to your employer. No more, no less.

And remember that in business:

Your raise will become effective as soon as you do.

Mike Kennedy

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
New York
forget the MAI........

CPA / LAW DEGREE is the way to go. Tax Attorney w/CPA...... double the bucks with much more of a future.

TC

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Pennsylvania
I thought you had to have x amount of years as an accountant before sitting for the CPA? It will take you at least 5 years experience before taking the MAI comprehensive, I believe.

TC

GDavidson87

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Appraiser Trainee
Richard,

Thanks. Please relax. I'm guessing you're in the 60K bracket and you're just a little sour, right?

GDavidson87

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Appraiser Trainee
Also, I have another question:

The appraisal business appears to be dominated by older men (please correct me if I'm wrong). It's really not one of those fields that many young professionals consider when they're graduating from college-- possibly because CPAs, and J.D.s get more publicity. Do you think that a young professional in the appraisal business would have a hard time getting a start because you'll never "have as much experience" as the older appraisers do? Sorry, but I'm trying to think of a better way to phrase this but I hope you get the point. Thanks a lot.

Garrett

GDavidson87

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Appraiser Trainee
TC, it actually depends on the state. In Illinois, you don't have to meet any quantifiable # of hours to sit for the CPA. You merely have to show that you have enough experience. In most other states, the experience requirement is 1 year.

Garrett

Mr Rex

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
North Carolina
Richard,

Thanks. Please relax. I'm guessing you're in the 60K bracket and you're just a little sour, right?

A 60k typist gig would be sweet, but she would have to know when to capitalize and wear short skirts. The local community college will likely turn you away if your OP is representative of your communication skills after a few years in college. Come on in, the water is fine.

Chris Colston

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Florida
[FONT=verdana,arial]
[/FONT]
The appraisal business appears to be dominated by older men (please correct me if I'm wrong).

Consider yourself corrected. My first mentor, over 20 years ago, was the first female MAI in the state of Maryland. I've been appraising real property longer than you've been alive!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks