• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Crawl space

[email protected]

Freshman Member
Professional Status
General Public
State
Texas
i cannot speak for the house that you are doing right now, but according to a strict perfectionist guideline attitude you may want to follow, then ever old row home with that kitchen shed, or now finished shed sitting there for over 90 years in this big old city will never go FHA. how many of those will you kill before any lender will say 'bye,bye'. now, i am only speaking of this 1 particular photo that looks to me like every row home crawl space, at the back of the basement, i've seem. so, at times there may be exceptions for a perfectionist. i've been doing row homes for a 100 years, maybe not as long as glen though.
Gotcha unfortunately there’s only 2 HUD approved appraisers in this small area of Texas so they got limited options as it is. But I’m picking up what your putting down

glenn walker

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
California
i cannot speak for the house that you are doing right now, but according to a strict perfectionist guideline attitude you may want to follow, then ever old row home with that kitchen shed, or now finished shed sitting there for over 90 years in this big old city will never go FHA. how many of those will you kill before any lender will say 'bye,bye'. now, i am only speaking of this 1 particular photo that looks to me like every row home crawl space, at the back of the basement, i've seem. so, at times there may be exceptions for a perfectionist. i've been doing row homes for a 100 years, maybe not as long as glen though.
We do not operate by assuming an-underwriter catches something, when your FHA reports are delivered to your FHA-HUD HOC if reviewed they look to see if there is a attic scuttle and a crawl space. If you check yes then its required that you completed a Head & Shoulder visual observation of both the attic and the crawl space area. If you failed to complete either one or both then you are lying if you state the home meets FHA ( MPR ) because you don't know what you may have encountered. SO IF your back is hurt or you could not complete the inspection you state why and the Underwriter now has to order the inspections by a third party. The problem is you also had a responsibility to not accept FHA orders when you knew you had a physical handicap that would prevent you from doing a complete inspection, and you have now incurred the buyer and lender extra costs, delay in closing etc. Also never underestimate HUD you two appraisers may already be on the radar, all it takes is one buyer or lender to file a complaint. As far as only having two FHA appraisers in your area HUD employs Field Reviewers from other Counties and even other States when they feel an-area is undeserved or that 1 or 2 appraisers are getting sloppy.

I highly recommend eliminating statements like maybe Underwriters won't catch it and we only have two FHA appraisers out here because there are a lot of trolls on these sites that work for these different agencies and your ISP number will lead them right to your front door and no a screen name won't protect you : ) LMAO

Last edited:

sputnam

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
North Carolina
There no tape measure in the picture but, it doesn't look like the clearance meets building codes. The requirement may differ from state to state.. here, there is supposed to be an 8" clearance between the ground and any wood. I'm an appraiser, not a home inspector or code compliance officer for the County... so, I would describe what it (along with the photo) and call for an inspection.

Lee in L.A.

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
California
If you check yes then its required that you completed a Head & Shoulder visual observation of both the attic and the crawl space area. If you failed to complete either one or both then you are lying if you state the home meets FHA ( MPR ) because you don't know what you may have encountered. SO IF your back is hurt or you could not complete the inspection you state why and the Underwriter now has to order the inspections by a third party. The problem is you also had a responsibility to not accept FHA orders when you knew you had a physical handicap that would prevent you from doing a complete inspection,
I had one where attic access was via a scuttle in a closet and they had built shelves in there.
They said the inspector was able to get in. Must have been a 97 pound skinny dude, or Twiggy.
I am not large or fat, but not a contortionist either.
I said, no access. Never heard another word. Not my problem if it costs someone a few more bucks.

But yes, stick your head and camera in there if you can.

Tom D

Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Pennsylvania
love that little scuttle in the closet, last open when built. always keep your eyes closed when you move it. state what you see.
FHA does not require a homeowner to put a opening in a ceiling, or an opening to a crawl space. lender might, but here is a picture of exactly what i saw, or didn't saw, or couldn't saw.
maybe even explain to the owner what might be needed, maybe. not my rules, i just enforce them.

alebrewer

Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Texas
there are a lot of trolls on these sites that work for these different agencies and your ISP number will lead them right to your front door and no a screen name won't protect you : ) LMAO
You mean folks can actually find out who we really are???.... :rof: :rof: :rof:

Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks