• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Forum Sponsor - a la mode

Learn more about Titan Reports, our new cloud-based formfiller, SmartExchange, Titan Office, and Titan Drive to see how you can revolutionize your appraisal business.

Credit Cards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Em Tee

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
California
We're thinking about accepting credit card payments. Does anyone else do this and what should we look for?

Thanks for any suggestions.

ockyappraiser

Professional Status
State
Kentucky
I am setting up for credit cards with local bank. The plan I use is where you call in the credit card info from the car (or you can do it by internet back at the office). Cost is 2.5% plus 30 cents per transaction.

Bottom line for me: Cash flow is everything. Most of what I do is check at the door. . .I have gone to credit cards to get the rest to switch over. Since I do mainly mortgage broker business, I am looking for this to bring it a lot more orders. The reason is simple. When a deal falls out, the brokers typically take the fee for the appraisal out of the LO's paychecks. They hate that. But they continue to guarantee appraisals when customer does not have money for check at door.

I am going to do fax advertising with the offer that now they customer can pay at door. . .then roll in the cost of the appraisal into the loan by paying off the credit card. The LO rolls it into the loan as before, but is off the hook for the guarantee.

Mike Garrett RAA

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Colorado
I only get ask about a half a dozen times a year if I accept credit cards. Since it would be such a small %age of my business I have not done it. There are on line companies who will set you up. I get more calls from people trying to sell me on accepting credit cards than credit card customers.

Stone

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Wisconsin
I thought I read in a different post that some credit card companies were no longer accepting appraiser business due to the high percentage of customers contesting charges when their house/property didn't come in at the value that they expected. I don't remember if I read that here, or heard it elsewhere, but it made some sense.

Mountain Man

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Georgia
Like Mike, the request are so few and far between, I don't. But I could with Pay Pal.... or so I am told by the constant e-mails.

Jeff Horton

Professional Status
State
Alabama
You can set up a Business account with PayPal and accept credit cards that way. The person paying has to have a PayPal account of course but that is simple to set up and unless they have changed they will give you $5 to sign up. So it's less than free.

No set up fee's or month charges for us. The payee would have to be on the internet is the only catch I see. So far no one has used it. But I don't push it either. Maybe I should?

Dave Brigle

Sophomore Member
Set up credit card acct early this year, not a major part of my business but it does help the cash flow. This coming year I will be more agressive about getting a credit card number, have entirely too many open invoices, biggest problem is LO who disappears.

ockyappraiser

Professional Status
State
Kentucky
You are exactly right. The whole point of credit cards and check at the door is to do away with late pay invoices. Some appraisers who deal primarily with banks will always be paid by invoice. But I do 40-50 appraisals per month all from mortgage brokers. Even the best of them will let some invoices go 60-90 days.

I have started requesting check at the door in all situations I can. I also test marketed the idea of credit cards with some new brokers. The pitch: your customers can pay by credit card, then you roll the credit card into the loan. The result is that the appraisal is financed in the loan, but the broker and loan officer are no longer on the hook if it goes south. An office manager at a larger broker said if I took credit cards, she would require all LO's to use me. . .she had had it with paying for appraisals on loans that don't close.

Bottom line: all appraisals are paid by the homeowner. . .either at door or in loan closing costs. Why are so many appraisers willing to wait 60-90 days to get paid?

TEL2002

Elite Member
Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
Louisiana
Mark Roberts,

I'm curious about your 2.5% plus 30 cents per transaction. Is there any monthly fee or initial sign up fees?

If no additional fees please pass on the secret or name of this bank.

I signed up with one company (stupid stupid stupid) cost us $900 for a year (yea I signed a darn contract) and we did only ONE transaction in that 12 months. That appraisal cost me about $700.

I would love to do a deal where there are NO monthly fees and NO sign up fees, and NO equipment to rent or buy. Even 5% would be okay with me....

Terry

Terry

ockyappraiser

Professional Status
State
Kentucky
I use NPC which is partially owned by National City Bank. NPC is the second largest CC processor in the nation.

There are difference pricing for the method you use. If you get scanners it is expensive. My plan is where I call the credit card info in on the phone, or send it via internet. I am charged 2.4% plus 30 cents per transaction on VISA/MC. . .3.5% on AMEX and [email protected] plus 8 cents on Discover. There is a one time set up fee of $400.00. Also, there is a monthly statement fee of $10.00.

I asked about the possibility of chargebacks as well. The company said that the customer had to prove they were billed incorrectly for the charge back tostick. Not "hitting the value" was not going to fly.

Bottom line. . . if your average appraisal is $300.00. . .would you pay $7.50 to get your money in 24 hours. . .guaranteed funds?

We are not just a service business. . .we are a cash flow business. Controlling cash flow is what grows businesses.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks