• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Curious how you handle subject with too many bathrooms?

chad hampton

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
North Carolina
I compare 4.1 bathrooms to 3.1 bathrooms almost every day of the week.

TMG

Professional Status
State
California
How many people in that house have to go to the bathroom at the same time?

S is for spittman

Professional Status
State
Texas
OP still has not clarified if they are the appraiser or getting ready to have their home appraised. I've seen some homeowner's try to say their home has 3 bathrooms when the third bathroom was actually a half bath located in the garage. I don't think most appraiser's would go 5 miles out to bracket a bathroom. As mentioned before, just go back in time. Another method would be to compare other sales not related to the subject to see if an adjustment can be made, for example, matched paired analysis of similar or smaller homes with only difference in number of bathrooms. For ex. find several samples of 3 bed/2 bathroom vs 3 bed/1 bath. aply the difference (if any) to your subject.

S is for spittman

Professional Status
State
Texas

If it's a married couple with 6 to 8 kids plus a nanny living there, probably all the time. lol

Chandler

Professional Status
State
Arizona
When we come home from a kids baseball tournament from some far flung area, we all immediately hit the bathrooms, so it's nice to have 4.5 (4.1) bathrooms. We actually have a casita with another bathroom which is really there for if my mother or a guest wants to sleep over. We ruled out houses that only had 3.5 baths when we bought this one.

Peter LeQuire

Elite Member
Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
Tennessee
It's not uncommon for larger/upscale houses to be configured so that each bedroom has a private bath, each bathroom only accessible from a bedroom: such houses generally have at least a half-bath, used by guests who are not staying overnight.

Flakey

Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
South Carolina
Depends if it's day or night.

AMF13

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
California
I rarely adjust for bath count. 4 or 4 .5, who cares?
Now if you find one with 2 toilets side by side in 1 bathroom, woo hoo you hit the jackpot! :leeann2:

Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks