• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Customer Harrassment/legal Recourse

Status
Not open for further replies.

fritzvogel

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
New York
I recently completed an assignment for a well known client that I love and have done biz with for 20+/- years.
The Homeowner (Refi) was very unhappy with the "Number" I gave in the report. It was less than 2% lower than what they anticipated and ended there possibility of a Refi (No equity).
They have complained to the Clent, the lender, the BBB, Angies List and some outfit in So Calf. "Consumer Business Alliance" or something and now it's pissing me off. What would you do? I'm in NY.
They are making things up as they go along, bizarre things "Value was low because I had to measure in the Rain", value was low "Because I didn't like their dogs" et al. Both are dumb as Sh*t and have no $$$.

Carnivore

Elite Member
Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
North Carolina
Contact an attorney. Your ordeal is not over...you didn't mention if they complained to your State Licensing Board. Get ready that is probably next or already in process.

You living in the People's Republic of NY places you in Great Risk.

Reactions: DTB

J Grant

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Florida
I recently completed an assignment for a well known client that I love and have done biz with for 20+/- years.
The Homeowner (Refi) was very unhappy with the "Number" I gave in the report. It was less than 2% lower than what they anticipated and ended there possibility of a Refi (No equity).
They have complained to the Clent, the lender, the BBB, Angies List and some outfit in So Calf. "Consumer Business Alliance" or something and now it's pissing me off. What would you do? I'm in NY.
They are making things up as they go along, bizarre things "Value was low because I had to measure in the Rain", value was low "Because I didn't like their dogs" et al. Both are dumb as Sh*t and have no $$$.

Don't sweat it. Let your e and o know if they file a compliant with the state board, but so far they have not, correct?. Angie's list who cares , BBB who cares. Discuss with lender if appropriate. Their complaint is spite, bogus, nothing you can do it will pass. Sorry it happened though it's always upsetting.

J Grant

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Florida
Contact an attorney. Your ordeal is not over...you didn't mention if they complained to your State Licensing Board. Get ready that is probably next or already in process.

You living in the People's Republic of NY places you in Great Risk.

Why in the world should he contact an attorney because some ahole complains to Angie's list? The borrower has not complained to the state board and likely never will and even if they do it is such nonsense it will go nowhere.

Carnivore

Elite Member
Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
North Carolina
Just saying this because they have not complained to State Board and that's a bit worrying for me. That would seem to have been one of the first things someone would do. What's next driving by his house and threatening him directly and then saying to themselves; hmmmm well that's it, lets get him by going to the state appraisal board as a last resort, that will show this punk.

J Grant

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Florida
My experience is far less alarming- most of these spite complaints are short lived, the borrower has his tantrum and then goes away. It is always a good idea to let your E and O company know, though I think they don't get involved unless it is a complaint to the state board. It's really a shame borrowers can file complaints but that is the way it is in every business.

Last edited:

norapp

Professional Status
State
New York
Hey Fritz, I'm curious where you are. I don't know what the poster was talking about (living in NY a great risk)??? There are crazy people everywhere. The hardest part of this job for me is refi's where people who are desperate tell you what they need $ and you know it's not going to happen. Old people. Sick people. I had a guy who needed the money to pay the funeral costs for his son. Those days I want to crawl in a hole. I wish I could pull that magic number out of the air for them but my job is protect the asset of the lender and if the value is not there, it's not there. You mind saying what county. I'm in upstate NY and I resent the fact that my address is in the report via mandatory E&O. I have never put my address on business cards and leave it off page 6 in report but now it's in there whether I like it or not. Recently did a refi on a home. Did not know it was 2nd appraisal ordered by lender but apparently I came in 30k less than the first. They sent it over to me and I found several mistakes (value issues) but the main difference was opinion of condition. Home was 30 years old and effective age was older. Truly neglected home. Not maintained in a rural area with few buyers. Surprisingly AMC had my back on this one. Pictures showed a lot but in person it was worse. Homeowner called me a few times and I just kept saying I can not discuss this with him. Stuff like this really makes me uneasy. You never know who you are dealing with or what is going on in their life. Keep us posted on your situation.

Carnivore

Elite Member
Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
North Carolina
My comment about living in NY being a great risk is because NY is known among some others to have a heavy hand on business when it involves a consumer. California is another one.

J Grant

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Florida
My comment about living in NY being a great risk is because NY is known among some others to have a heavy hand on business when it involves a consumer. California is another one.
Comments about states you have no direct experience only serves to increase angst and paranoia. I bet appraisers in NY and Cali have no more incidents of "heavy handedness" than anywhere else . I have a friend in Cali appraising 20 years with no problems.

Imo, appraisers can unwittingly increase the incidents of homeowner/borrower complaints by acting too friendly/accommodating at an inspection, or simply by talking too much. Thus certain homeowners might expect they will be "helped" by the appraiser, and are disappointed when it does not come to pass.

I am polite at inspections but do not interact much other than ask necessary questions about the home. If the HO acts aggressive or desperate or starts talking about how much they $ "need", I respond in a way that lets them know the appraisal is impartial and being done for the lender.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks