• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Customer ordering own Appraisal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim Bartley

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Virginia
Had an order on the fax with contract and FHA case number assignment. Then I got a "Cancel Order" fax with the following:

"please cancel appraisal request for _____________-customer getting own appraisal"

Isn't this illegal. Wasn't this one of the reforms to come out of FIRREA? That only the client can order the appraisal? I wonder if I should even call the lender to give them a heads up. I'm sure they don't even have a clue that this is wrong. Seems like more and more lenders are allowing this.
Since this is an FHA order, I wonder what their reaction would be.

Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
Florida
They will have one hel* of a time trying to change the FHA assignment last I heard. This order will probably come back to you.

Then again.... I could be wrong.

Dave Doering

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Missouri
I would suggest that you call your appropriate HUD office and advise them of this. HUD loans are regulated subject to FIRREA as are all other government regulated transactions. I would think that they would be interested in HUD/FHA loan originators who choose to violate its (FIRREA's) provisions on appraiser engagement.

bradellis

Dave,

HUD insured loans are almost never Federally related transactions. HUD is not named in the agencies covered by FIRREA.

The bank making the loan may be, but since HUD lending limits fall under the threshold of $250,000- I think always, but there may be an area where the limits are high enough-these are not federally related.

Any smart underwriter will catch this- they cannot use a homeowner ordered appraisal- but I doubt HUD will take any interest in mistakes made by lenders until it gets to them- IF it gets to them.

Brad

Hate to picky, but HUD does come under umbrella of FIRREA since the lender they are insuring does (covered indirectly), same for VA.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks