• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Forum Sponsor - a la mode

QuickSource provides a single-source solution to easily import, compare, and manage data from multiple, credible sources in every report. See what the next game-changer is really all about.

Dang Double-feeding Printers

Status
Not open for further replies.

David C. Johnson

I have a HP LaserJet 5L and a LaserJet 6L printer that have both been double feeding (actually at least one will feed as many as 8 or 10 sheets sometimes).

I can cut down on the problem by keeping a lot of paper in it, as they are worse for multi-feeding when low on paper.

I fix most anything (or at least a lot) on my old Cannon PC-7 and Cannon PC-6RE copiers (use to work for Xerox so I knew the best copier for the money to get for myself :D ) and do a good bit of mechanical-type stuff on my car, etc.

However, the manuals eo not mention this problem and I assume the idea is for me to bring them in to an authorized shop where I can come back after a few days without having use of them, pay an outrageous bill and get back to work until the next time -- where what they probably will do is turn a screw half a turn and have both of them fixed before I am out of the parking lot.

Anyone ever fixed this problem on their printers?

A while back I rubbed alcohol on the rubber feeders and it fixed both of them for a week or so (the alcohol made the rubber kind or tacky to grip better I think).

Any ideas?

Thanks,

dcj

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
North Carolina
What a boring post compared to your other posts.

Maybe your paper is crappy, humid, whatever. Fan it good. Avoid the el cheapo paper. All no brainer stuff. Sorry.

Tejus

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Texas
This is a known problem with the HP LaserJet 5L's. The paper feed mechanism needs to be replaced. Search the web, they sell do it yourself repair kits, approx $30. I don't know how well the kits work.

I had my 5L repaired and cleaned for approx $100 a couple years ago. I've since traded it off for a newer printer. There was also a driver problem printing some pdf files and printing pdf was slow. The new Samsung ML-1430 has the same footprint, is approx 10x faster and cost approx $100 after selling my 5L.

bueno suerta.

Mike Garrett RAA

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Colorado
Sounds like the rollers are worn out. The place I buy my toner carts replaced them for me. It wasn't too expensive...took it in and got it back the next day. I have a series III.

Restrain

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Florida
If you go to HPs website, the repair kit for the 5 is free. I've rebuilt 3 of them and it takes appx. 5 minutes.

Roger

David C. Johnson

Excellent, Fellas.

I'll let you know how things come out. The HP website free kit deal sounds particularly encouraging... :)
dcj

Sorry, Serge, I got at least 4 posts on hold needing severe censuring before posting in the Watercooler to avoid the "blow out on arrival" factor by management, or super flaming factor by participants. Maybe get a chance to repair one or two of them this week. No guarantees though... :D

Terrel L. Shields

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Arkansas
i tossed a perfectly good HP1100 laser in the trash over that problem only to find out days later there was a fix. I went into a title office and remarked I had thrown away a printer identical to one on my friend Pam's desk. She said, "Was it sucking in a bunch of paper?"....the fix was $5 from there office repairman. I am glad I did not have a pencil in my hand when I slapped my forehead.

David C. Johnson

I went to www.hp.com yesterday and had to do a good bit of looking around before I got onto a discussion group where I finally found a question about printers multi-feeding. Here is the answer someone submitted which others said was correct and fixed their problems:

It is a known issue with the LJ 5L, 6L, 3100, 3150,
and the LJ 1100. There was a class-action law suit
and a settlement on this which you could find if you
would like. Now you have two options of fixing this
problem:

1). Go to the following HP link and order the free fix
for 6L, 3100, and 3150. The 5L is not listed but the
free kit for the 6L will work in the LJ 5L:

http://hp.com/support/ljsepkit/

With this free kit, some people have good result and
some people have very bad result. One critical thing
about this free kit is that you should clean the area
that the kit is going with rubbing Alcohol of dust and
let it dry first.

2). If you really want to fix good, try the following site:

http://www.fixyourownprinter.com/kki0.html

It carries a LJ 1100 Multifeed problem fix kit. It
comes with an instructional video and is a much
better solution.

Hope these help.

Dewaine

I ordered four of "the kits" since it sounds like it has to be done ever so often and besides, I may have to take one of them apart or something to be able to tell what they are attempting to do such that I can figure out how to go about it more permanently or something. They send the kits as part of a settlement for the law suit I guess, but I got a confirmation notice for my order that indicates they maybe out of stock at present, so it may be a wait. However, it looks like they send UPS when they do send and it is free to the owner of the machines. I will probably post when they get here and after I "do the operations." :rolleyes:

Thanks again, fellas. And Ter, don't feel too bad about you decision -- I considered it myself and may still end up with your solution... :D

dcj

FEI (For Everyone's Information), the computer I am on now, a Toshiba Laptop 4015 CDT, is partly one I bought years ago, and partly parts of one I bought just like it on E-Bay, now one working unit, however, the keyboards for both have an identiacal problem where they will not capitalize unless you use the Caps Lock Key rather than the Shift Key on one side, so I suspect that was a manufactoring screw-up of some sort also. I mention this as I became a part of a Class Action Suit against Toshiba (the application was just mailed to me one day a couple of years ago and I filled it out and waited a year and collected about $300 in "cash" if you used the "credit card" for buying Toshiba stuff or software -- hmmm....) for other defects in this model of which never really personally gave me a problem; however I was pissed a bit for other reasons that were not specifically part of the suit such as having to reformat the harddrive rather than being able to just replace single operating system file -- a stupid management decision they decided on years ago, I guess.

John Hassler

Professional Status
State
California
David

I believe the HP kit is just a paper seperator pad and is a temporary, not a permenant, fix. The 5L shares the same print engine as the 3100. I recently bought a kit off of ebay for my 3100 which included new rollers and replacement seperator pads. It was around $20 and took a half hour to install. I could be completely wrong on all this but check out ebay and read what the regular sellers say about the HP fix.

John Hassler

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks