• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

DBA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frederick R. Ruffell

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
California
I have built my practice to the point that I feel I should give it a name. I have a web site with the name up and running. What is the procedure to record the business name (I will continue to do business as a sole proprietor) with the city or county? Will there be increased fees or taxes?? I work out of my home. Any input from others that have been here is appreciated.

Tim Hicks (Texas)

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Texas
Usually it is required by the county you operate to register your business name. Here, the business name is exclusively yours for 10 years. Hopefully, your business name is not already taken. It is a nominal fee in this area ($200?).

wyecoyote

Professional Status
Gvmt Agency, FNMA, HUD, VA etc.
State
Washington
Here you had to register with the state and IRS. It was around $170 plus all the taxes you have to pay quarterly.

airphoto

Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
Pennsylvania
In NY the filing fee is $28.00 in your home county's clerk's orifice ..

Liz South

Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Virginia
Here in VA if the name of your firm is NOT the same as your name you also have to have a license from the appraisal board for your business name. Once again another fee - this is in addition to a county business license and a corporation registration fee ALL FEES TO THE STATE and they complain that they don't get enough money.

Liz S.
Looking for fall on the east coast.

Restrain

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Florida
Quick advise via my CPA. 1. The DBA is needed by banks, etc. for cashing checks in your business name or opening a business account. 2. The DBA does not change your tax status. You are still a self-employed person subject to whatever the tax laws are in your state. 3. If you decide to incorporate, talk with your CPA as to the effect on your tax situation. You may want to use an LLP instead of an incorporation. However, you can't fully insulate yourself from a liability perspective, even through an LLP or corporation.

Roger

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks