• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Forum Sponsor - a la mode

QuickSource provides a single-source solution to easily import, compare, and manage data from multiple, credible sources in every report. See what the next game-changer is really all about.

Dc 4330

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mountain Man

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Georgia
Last Thrusday, I found out that my Olympus digital camera did not like really wet weather coupled with a good impact. :p
That's okay, it was not an "appraiser friendly" camera anyway. A real battery hog, and a bit slow to react on those busy roads when you needed a quick drive by shot. So I was not sad to see it go. :yellowblack:

Bought a Kodak 4330 on E-Bay, and Love it! Great photos, quick, and it's not a battery hog. The main reason I bought the 4330 over the other lower models was a true 3X optical lense zoom, and a 3.3 X digital zoom. That really helps on those comp photos that are on the back of 20 acres. ;) Set it on the lowest setting, get 42 shots using internal memory. But I'll buy a memory chip soon, to be able to take personal photos on the highest setting.

Mike Garrett RAA

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Colorado
Gotta say I have been really pleased with my Kodaks. Still using old DC 210 and 215..prefer the 210.

Here is a thought for you. My business insurance agent just informed me I can add my digital cameras to my policy for no additional charge AND the deductable on them is only $100.

chrisbeaird

Freshman Member
Professional Status
State
Texas
I use the DC210 and the DC215. I've taken thousands of pics with both but the quality is declining on both cameras. The slightly un-clear pics are okay for an appraisal but not so good for family pictures. It makes no difference what resolution the camera is set on. Anyone else had this problem? :usa:

Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
Florida
My 215 is doing that. It's getting to a point where I'm thinking a new camera will be necessary soon, even for the appraisals.

Mountain Man

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Georgia
Do the 210 and 215 use a memory card? If so, maybe time to try a new one. They can wear out over time. But if you do feel the need for a new camera, E-bay has many in the 4300 series with reasonable prices. I just got the one I really wanted, as it was only about $50 difference. I paid $229 for a new one, plus about $24 for express gotta have now shipping. Anyway, now that I have tried other brands I’m back to Kodak. Do miss the old DC40 though..... it only took 10 years for an appraiser to break it! :D

Carnivore

Elite Member
Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
North Carolina
Pam & Chris,

My 215 started doing that also after 12,000 pictures. It seems there are two issues. One the photo cell thingy and the mechanical zoomer thing are both the culprits.

So I bought the canon A40. Very good camera, and the 2 megapixels is plenty for home use. Set at very low settings I get over 600 pictures on one 64 MB san disk card. Which is nice to have used the same cards from my old 215. Saved some bucks.

Still have the 215 as a back up camera for emergencies.

Mike Garrett RAA

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Colorado
Hey Leggett....I have a DC 40 you can buy for $10 plus shipping! Still works too. I got 10,000+ plus images out of my first DC210...still might be able to get it fixed since it is just locked up. One of the things I have noticed is the pictures seem to be better on the smaller cards. Could be my imagination but I am now using a 20 meg and they don't look as good as those on the 8 meg. Could also be the manufacturer too...now that I think about it.

4 meg card....kodak
8 meg card....Canon
15 meg card....Sandisk
16 meg card....Sandisk
20 meg card....kodak

Had to trash a 16 meg the other day....quit working completely

Couple of helpful hints....

1. Carry an extra card in the glove box, can't tell you how frustrating it is to get out to the property and find the disk is still in the reader on your desk. Just happened again a couple of weeks ago.

2. Have a back-up camera, buy one of those cheapies. Just saw the new Fuji that sells for under $100. Or keep a (gasp, choke, choke) throw away film camera handy.

3. Invest in a couple of sets of rechargeable batteries, change them every day if you are really busy. Keep a set of back up batteries in the glove box too. I just use alkaline ones for this purpose.

4. Check your camera lens before shooting pics. So easy to have a big finger print over the lens and since most digitals are not "thru the lens" viewing it is easy to be shooting thru the smudge.

5. Invest in a good case, found a some really need ones at Wolfe Photo made of neoprene just like a skin divers suit. They have a belt clip too.

6. If you are prone to dropping things get a neck strap. My brother hangs his Mavica around his neck because it wont fit into his pocket....an other reason I like the kodaks.

As a final thought, take lots of pictures, they don't cost anything til you print them. If you say the property has an exceptional view....show it. If there are damaged items that need repair....show them. A picture truely is worth a whole bunch of words!

Mountain Man

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Georgia
Could be my imagination but I am now using a 20 meg and they don't look as good as those on the 8 meg. Could also be the manufacturer too...now that I think about it.

I ran into the same thing with the Olympus. It came with a small card from the manufacturer, so I bought a larger one at Wallyworld. It did not take as good of pics, so I kept it as the back up card. Name brand lable does matter in those things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks