• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Declining An Assignment After Completion ?

lostinthezone

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Maryland
You may be reading too much into the stip about the feasibility of public sewer. My guess is that they are asking if public sewer is available for the subject property. From the 4000.1;

"The Appraiser must visually inspect the Onsite Sewage Disposal System and its surrounding area. The Appraiser must require an inspection to ensure that the system is in proper working order if there are readily observable signs of system failure. The Appraiser must report on the availability of public sewer to the site."

If the subject property can't readily hook up to it, then that's the only comment you should have to make. I have run into a couple of cases where the subject property was still on a septic system even though the public sewer line ran right along the front of the road. They just never wanted to hook up to it. If available, hook up used to be required. The rule of thumb a while back was that if the cost to hook up to it exceeded 3% of the loan amount, the UW could waive the requirement to hook up to it. Good luck......

Alsie35

Professional Status
State
Texas
Not after it has been submitted, but definitely after an inspection. Mostly after having a conversation with the bank and letting them know what is up. Sometimes they bow out, other times I bow out.

I try not to make the same mistake twice and there are certain properties and areas that I won't touch for any amount of money.

Yup. This is the strategy I use after inspecting "hoarder homes".

I put together a pdf of photos illustrating the fact that you literally cannot see the walls or floors, then decline the assignment stating that I could not determine the condition due to the obstructed view. PERIOD.

(I had one *[email protected]$% AMC send a borrower an email of my message characterizing the problems with his hoarder/deferred maintenance home about 3 years ago, and the guy called me to complain. I learned my lesson. Let the photos speak for themselves.)

About a month ago I had a hoarder home/cat house where the cats had been "doing their business" on the carpets in between the rows and piles of stuff - all over the entire 3000+sf home(!). I've never been so glad I had my N-95 mask on. :ROFLMAO: The owner pointed out that the model match across the street "just sold for $580K" (as I said to myself 'yeah, but you forgot to deduct $100k for deferred maintenance and $25k for cat s*** odor' from that).

I simply sent the AMC a pdf file of the photos stating that I could not inspect due to the personal items stored in every room. PERIOD. The photos told the entire story. I was so disgusted that I waived any fee - I wanted nothing that could link me me to those people. When the AMC called back a week later to ask: "Would you do it if they cleaned up the house?". You can guess my answer. Run Away!!!! :rof:

Rick Phillips

Professional Status
State
District of Columbia
Yes, believe it or not the Subject Line above is accurate.

I recently completed an FHA exterior-only of a SFR further out in the desert (just a couple of miles) than I initially realized. Access was difficult even more so to some of the comps. Subject was so far from the main paved road that visibility was about 10% so the subject's true photos were supplemented with Google photos. My knowledge of condition was constrained because of the absence of a prior MLS, and because the borrower was (mentally?) incompetent to conduct a phone interview. I completed the report indicating therein that the client should consider a full interior-exterior rather than an exterior-only. The client stips now include questions about the feasability of public sewer, clarification about physical improvements, etc. I realize now that I should have declined the assignment after the exterior inspection; and I'm wondering whether anybody has EVER declined an assignment after it has been completed and submitted. I presume that peers might opine that I risk state censure, although I'm somewhat willing to take that risk if it means avoiding a report based upon incomplete information.

Is there a local real estate agent in the market area, maybe someone who sold one or more of your comps, you could call and get more of the full story about what's going on? I've called agents before on weird or remote properties and found that they've actually been inside the subject or are friends with the next-door neighbor, etc. I know it's a pain to call them these days, and half won't call you back, but it might be worth a try.

ZZGAMAZZ

Professional Status
State
California
Is there a local real estate agent in the market area, maybe someone who sold one or more of your comps, you could call and get more of the full story about what's going on? I've called agents before on weird or remote properties and found that they've actually been inside the subject or are friends with the next-door neighbor, etc. I know it's a pain to call them these days, and half won't call you back, but it might be worth a try.
They're sick of me I think. It helps when I introduce myself as a Realtor and appraiser. I go so far when introducing myself to the listing agents of the subject property as to describe our "partnership," making sure to express the fact that I will remain objective throughout the process, and that I will end communications at the moment I submit a completed report.

S is for spittman

Professional Status
State
Texas
ZZ I'm assuming public sewage is not available for this property since it is so far out of city limits. If they insist on needing a feasability study then that is outside SOW and I would have no problem telling them it costs $$$ for the request or just flat out refuse anything else that is outside original SOW. For the other stuff, I would ask for the original appraisal with interior pictures. Might be dated, but it is still better than nothing. If they don't well then just point to #4 on the 2055 in the Statement of Assumptions section and specifically quote "appraiser has no knowledge of needed repairs that would make the property less valuable and assumes that there are no such conditions." They CAN provide you with the original appraisal. Don't accept no for an answer. I have requested and received it many times on these types of assignments. Keep requesting it or add the same comment about assumptions until the stips go away. I have doubts these pre-foreclosure driveby appraisals actually go to FHA. It is in-house and this is some rookie underwriter/reviewer BS nonsense!

ZZGAMAZZ

Professional Status
State
California
Yup. This is the strategy I use after inspecting "hoarder homes".

I put together a pdf of photos illustrating the fact that you literally cannot see the walls or floors, then decline the assignment stating that I could not determine the condition due to the obstructed view. PERIOD.

(I had one *[email protected]$% AMC send a borrower an email of my message characterizing the problems with his hoarder/deferred maintenance home about 3 years ago, and the guy called me to complain. I learned my lesson. Let the photos speak for themselves.)

About a month ago I had a hoarder home/cat house where the cats had been "doing their business" on the carpets in between the rows and piles of stuff - all over the entire 3000+sf home(!). I've never been so glad I had my N-95 mask on. :ROFLMAO: The owner pointed out that the model match across the street "just sold for $580K" (as I said to myself 'yeah, but you forgot to deduct $100k for deferred maintenance and $25k for cat s*** odor' from that).

I simply sent the AMC a pdf file of the photos stating that I could not inspect due to the personal items stored in every room. PERIOD. The photos told the entire story. I was so disgusted that I waived any fee - I wanted nothing that could link me me to those people. When the AMC called back a week later to ask: "Would you do it if they cleaned up the house?". You can guess my answer. Run Away!!!! :rof:
One unit in a 4-plex I inspected last week was so bad that I was digusted. Toilet literally overflowing with human poop. No idea how to address the C2C, which possibly presents a potential health & safety hazard. I felt despair for the disabled occupants.

Alsie35

Professional Status
State
Texas
One unit in a 4-plex I inspected last week was so bad that I was digusted. Toilet literally overflowing with human poop. No idea how to address the C2C, which possibly presents a potential health & safety hazard. I felt despair for the disabled occupants.
Edit: Wait - WHAT? There were people living there?!? OMG how horrible.

My favorite story in this type of vein was the REO condo unit where the realtor warned me "don't go in without a mask and gloves"... yup, another (former) cat home, emptied of all the contents ... except the carpets and .. everything else like the walls that could (and did) absorb the molecules of the ... "cat stuff" ... even with my mask on, as soon as I opened the door I wanted to retch. Somehow I got through it (quickly). I don't know what the buyer had to do - probably strip the walls and floors bare and install new ones ...

... then there was the newer hoarder home on 3 acres in a fairly exclusive part of one of the nearby towns here in NorCal ... I got through the inspection, it was a solid C4 ... when the borrower said ... "now we'll go to the guest unit/barn" ... he frowned ... "that's where my sister keeps all of her stray cats" ... imagine a nicely built 800sf barn-type structure with 20 foot ceilings, tile floors, basically like a dance hall ... and 3 DOZEN cats ... all over the place - including the rafters ... they never went out ... there were no litter boxes either ... I leave the details to your imagination ... :sick:

Last edited:

Michigan CG

Staff member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Michigan
For me, no MLS photos is a no-go from the beginning. Let someone else have the liability. Now you are in between a rock and a hard place. I think George gave the best advice.

George Hatch

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
California
My primary rationale for redoing the appraisal with a more extensive SOW is partly to do right by my intended users, and partly to do as best I can for myself. If I have come to learn that one of my assumptions - which I initially had reason to make - proved to be incorrect then it behooves me to get out in front of the issue and not wait for the client to come back to me and request me to fix the situation. I wasn't acting in bad faith to begin with and I want to continue to not act in bad faith now that additional info has come to light.

We ultimately sell our credibility, not our appraisal reports.

Zoe

Professional Status
State
Tennessee
I agree with George. I would try to get in. If homeowner will talk to you, they will likely let you in. Sometimes you just have to eat it and go on in this business to protect yourself and your client. If they deny you access, try to get pictures from them or a relative if you can. I don't know on sewer. Is public sewer even available on the street? Does jurisdiction require them to hookup for it to transfer or does it even exist on the street in front of house? You can always revise the report if you can get inside pictures. You can also do a new 1004 if you can get in and explain prior services.

Last edited:
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks