• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Denver Regional Office Loss

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Garrett RAA

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Colorado
Jack Cheney, Chief of the Construction and Valuation Section, died on January 6th after a short battle with cancer. Jack was 59. He was a great friend to not only his staff but also all VA appraisers in the 8 state region his office supervised.

I knew Jack not only as my "boss" at the VA but also as a competitor in bass fishing. He was a avid fisherman and mentor to many who find this sport a hobby and avocation. When Jack got sick 4 days before Christmas he went to the hospital where he was told he had only a few weeks to live. Much of his last few days was spent with family and friends around him and, as a final act of kindness, he gave his beloved Legend bass boat to his long time fishing companion and co-angler Howard Wong. In addition, he gifted members of the Denver Bassmasters junior club with most of his extensive fishing equipment. Jack was a past president of that club as well as Vice President and Tournament Director for the Colorado Bass Nation.

His funeral was well attended by hundreds of co-workers, fellow bass fishermen, and friends. Jack was laid to rest dressed in his tournament shirt and fishing cap and beside him was his favorite fishing rod. Instead of a hurst, his flagged draped coffin was transported to Fort Logan federal cemetery on the deck of his bass boat followed by several other vehicles towing bass boats and a lengthy procession of vehicles.

Jack was my friend but more than that he was a great guy who will be so missed. Rest in Peace Jack Chaney...and catch the big one up there in heaven.

KYLECODY

Professional Status
State
Arizona
Sounds like a great guy. Nice compliment to his life to have all that support and love. May we all be so lucky.

Digger88

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Virginia
something must have got in my eye... my funeral will have 11 tops.

Terrel L. Shields

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Arkansas
Lost a friend 2 weeks after diagnosed ... Mom lived 22 years and was a quadruple survivor. Cancer is that way. A pathologist I know said fast cancers were easy to kill but you didn't have enough time. Slow cancers were hard to kill. It was a choice no one wants to make.

It would be a hard thing to go fishing in that boat and not think about your friend. Kind of a mixed blessing.

Ariba

Professional Status
State
Colorado
Way to young. Very nice tribute.

form1025

Professional Status
State
Illinois
RIP God Bless

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks