• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Desktop appraisals, Why?

Status
Not open for further replies.
X

xm2841

Ive been getting a good amount of desktop appraisals recently, at least one, sometimes 3 or more a day. They only take a bit to complete so its not too bad but about 30% of the time I reject them and request a full 1004 for various reasons. Whats the reason for these desktops? Ive come up with some conclusions of my own.... The lender is buying paper and wants something on the loan they purchase, the lender is keeping it in house and wants something to update the file, I cant see a desktop as being acceptable for a mortgage transaction though. Anyone know anything about why these desktops are ordered?

JW

Mztk1

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Florida
Is it for Bank of America or Providian?

PropertyEconomics

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
New Mexico
My belief is instead of doing desktops you are essentially doing appraiser assisted AVMs ... just my guess.

Professional Status
State
North Carolina
To get your E&O on the hook for the liability.

Restrain

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Florida
It depends on the risk factor for the lender. Generally used for equity loans or low LTV refis.

leelansford

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Illinois
Ive been getting a good amount of desktop appraisals recently, at least one, sometimes 3 or more a day. They only take a bit to complete so its not too bad but about 30% of the time I reject them and request a full 1004 for various reasons. Whats the reason for these desktops? Ive come up with some conclusions of my own.... The lender is buying paper and wants something on the loan they purchase, the lender is keeping it in house and wants something to update the file, I cant see a desktop as being acceptable for a mortgage transaction though. Anyone know anything about why these desktops are ordered?

JW

Uhhhhhhh...as you undertake such an assignment, what is your understanding of the Intended Use of your appraisal?

Amy Perkins

Professional Status
State
Tennessee
My guess would be that they are for equity lines of credit for small loans.

Laughing Heir

Professional Status
State
Pennsylvania
...the lender is keeping it in house and wants something to update the file...

This sounds like a valid possibility.

If you are getting that many per day it is probably for portfolio accounting. Some of the larger BPO companies do this for hard money and sub-prime lenders.

If you have remote access to the County Records of Deed's Office, see if you can establish a pattern with the dates the mortgage liens were recorded. I have a friend that works at a large lender, he's told me in the past that they update the non-performing mortgages every six months with BPOs and desktops.

Carnivore

Elite Member
Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
North Carolina
Uhhhhhhh...as you undertake such an assignment, what is your understanding of the Intended Use of your appraisal?

Lee,

I got to hand it to you. You are sharp, straight to the meat of the issue!

Barney Fife, "Here at 'the Rock,' we have two basic rules. Memorize them so you can say them in your sleep.

Rule One: Obey all rules!

Second, do not write on the walls...as it takes a lot of work...to erase writing...off of walls."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks