• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Desktop Strike? Yes Or No?

Should appraisers strike all desktop appraisals?

• Yes

Votes: 14 43.8%
  • NO

Votes: 12 37.5%
  • Maybe

Votes: 6 18.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Amy Perkins

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Tennessee
http://appraisersblogs.com/cheap-AMC-desktop-appraisal-product

JTip

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Pennsylvania
Never have, never will.

graindart

Professional Status
State
Montana
I don't care what product is ordered or what type of form it is delivered on. All I care about is ethically making a certain amount of money per day to take care of my family's needs / wants / etc. (And to be honest, I want to make that money in the least amount of time with the least amount of hassle.)

Whether someone wants a full interior / exterior inspection, exterior only driveby, desktop, etc, doesn't matter to me in the least. I care about how long it is going to take me to complete ethically and what the compensation is for that time spent. I have completed a handful of desktop appraisals over the past decade. I'd do more, but the compensation offered is usually not acceptable.

I live in a smaller city where drive times are almost non-existant. The difference between a driveby and a desktop for me is taking photos of the subject & comps. Doing a driveby saves me approximately 30-60 minutes per report. Let's say a driveby pays $400 and I value my time at $100 per hour. If so, the largest discount I'm willing to make for not taking the photos is $100. So my desktop fee is $300. Of course the $100 discount only comes into play when I have additional available work product to fill that hour less of drive time. If I don't, than I really can't offer that discount because I still need to make a certain amount of money per day. In that case, my desktop fee is $400.

In my opinion, it's ridiculous to talk about boycotting a certain type of product if it can be completed ethically and the results aren't misleading. The question shouldn't be "Should appraisers strike all desktop appraisals?". The real question should be "Should appraisers refuse to work for peanuts?".

J Grant

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Florida
Denis, I doubt anyone would strike for $700 a report either!

The OP is referring to fees of $65, which is what I predicted and have seen offered, fees of $45-$65 for this type of work. When lenders were saying it is a low cost alternative to traditional appraisals, they were not kidding.

I do hope appraisers can hold out for a fee of at least $100...which might make sense for desktop work. Of course who can tell if appraisers can/ would, and if they do...one or two things would happen ; if lenders wanted it badly enough they would pay it ( or assign it direct since the AMC taking a cut is what makes the product more "expensive", or conclude appraisers want to much $ and they will find another alternative. Right now the offerings seem to be in this $65 range. It's better than no money if it comes to that, but very skimpy pay and I have done a few web based software reports such as they refer and it was HORRIBLE, much less control and ease of use than our own software offers...even if one gets more familiar with it. Imo with such a skimpy fee offered, it will probably go to a few earnest appraisers who become underpaid since they will take the time it needs to do a good job, and the rest to speedsters/Skippy who will either pay an assistant $10 to fill it out and sign their name or just do a fast job of any old comps etc to crank it out.

Their estimate of 45 minutes imo is absurd and only a skippy dumping any old comps in and recycling canned comments with no verification etc could do that.

If I were a cynical person, and I am not, but if I were, I'd hire someone , pay them $10 a report and pocket the $55. I bet some will do exactly that, I have seen that kind of thing done with BPO's which is a very similar cheap pay desktop work. And no that is not ethical, but I doubt low pay ever attracts the most ethical. I just had feedback from a RE agent about the behavior of a few appraisers won't go into it here but sounds typical of someone cranking them out. There's always a segment of ethical appraisers toiling away for low pay mixed in, so clients point out that and say fee has no effect on quality, which is total BS except in a few cases where they do indeed exploit the honest segment who do ethical work despite the low fee, the rest, clients have to know on some level the work is compromised to get it done so cheap/fast.

Last edited:

Elliott

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Oregon
If an appraiser's choice is between being homeless and doing a desktop, he should do them. It would be time to set pride aside.

TRESinc

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Ohio
if lenders wanted it badly enough they would pay it ( or assign it direct since the AMC taking a cut is what makes the product more "expensive"

that bit of logic is flawed. it costs the lender the same whether the AMC cut is 90% or 10%.

J Grant

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Florida
If an appraiser's choice is between being homeless and doing a desktop, he should do them. It would be time to set pride aside.

And that is exactly the type of thinking, extreme fear based that drives fees down. Noting wrong with doing desktops and doing them for a reasonable or even lower fee that is profitable, but $65 is barely profitable because their estimate of 45 minutes is BS. And these online forms web based with real time comps etc are HORRIBLE to work with, exhausting and draining.

I suppose if it's choice of homeless or $65, , then $65 is better, though that fee will make a lot of us homeless, or living in very reduced circumstances.

J Grant

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Florida
Someone needs to accept one of these ( I don't want to) , do one, see if $ 65 makes sense...how long does it really take...what would be a fee that makes sense...75? 80-? 100? 150?

We'd all like $200 but I bet they would not pay it for volume of any kind. The whole reason they are doing this is a low cost alternative.

ucbruin

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Massachusetts
I just was engaged for one. $700. Why would I want to "strike" against that?

WTF!!!!!!????

$700.00 for a desktop????
What type of property is the subject?

What would you have charged for a full appraisal for the subject?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks