• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Desktop Work Vs Appraiser

Status
Not open for further replies.

J Grant

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Florida
Title to get readers...I do believe appraisers can do desktop products.

My POV is that only appraisers who have put in a certain number of years in the field, or who continue to mix desktop work in with field work are appraisers....an appraiser with no or little field experience who does 100% desktop work would become an analyst with an appraisal license.

Appraisers are the only people out in the market in the role of an appraiser. Which sounds redundant, but isn't. Everyone else in the market has their function, but only an appraiser is out in the market every day accumulating knowledge and experience to be assimilated for evaluation purposes; an umbrella inclusive of what a RE agent does, what a home inspector does, what an analyst does, mixed in with experiencing first hand the decisions and behaviors of buyers, sellers, builders, developers and landlords.

It's the application of firsthand knowledge and experience coming from fieldwork which allows the appraiser to draw conclusions from data that are reliable and credible and integrated into a cohesive narrative from a set of disparate and sometimes conflicting information.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 134708

End user couldn't care less who does it or what product it is. They just need the paper. If regulators let the paper come from the banker themselves, done. A machine, done, a random person, done, an appraiser, by force - done.

End of the day they don't want 40 page reports. They want to loan without any docs. Regs don't like, so they do the minimum, which most of the time included a 40 page appraisal in which they only care about 1 page.

A bankers dream is zero regs. Give truck loads of $$ away every minute and get your commission.

J Grant

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Florida
End user couldn't care less who does it or what product it is. They just need the paper. If regulators let the paper come from the banker themselves, done. A machine, done, a random person, done, an appraiser, by force - done. End of the day they don't want 40 page reports. They want to loan without any docs. Regs don't like, so they do the minimum, which most of the time included a 40 page appraisal in which they only care about 1 page.
A bankers dream is zero regs. Give truck loads of $$ away every minute and get your commission.

Not disagreeing with you. Just noting that the bankers had their dream of extremely lax regs during the housing boom and it turned into a nightmare which crashed the housing market and almost crashed the economy. Thus regulations were put into place to prevent a recurrence, which have largely been successful, though some think they went to far. Current admin is willing to take on higher risk for growth and a president with a personal history of recklessness...as well as being anti regulations, not differentiating between which regulations are good or bad. Wanting to repeal the regulations that worked to protect consumers and markets along with the ones that are burdensome and could have been amended. It will be contained only by the push back from those with a lot to lose .. Where that will leave appraisals and evaluations is unknown.

My general topic though was meant to comment on what appraisers bring to the table from their immersion in the market on an ongoing basis ( which may be lost if too many appraisers leave the market to become analysts at desks )

bnmappraisal

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Florida
My general topic though was meant to comment on what appraisers bring to the table from their immersion in the market on an ongoing basis ( which may be lost if too many appraisers leave the market to become analysts at desks )
I definitely don't begrudge any appraiser wanting to just do desktops. There are many reasons one might like this or even NEED to do this; health reasons come to mind and are often stated on this forum. I don't think this makes them any less of an appraiser than myself, who enjoys the field work.

I will agree with your comment in the OP that appraisers should have SOME field work experience. Books can teach you a lot, but can't replace first hand experience.

Michigan CG

Staff member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Michigan
Define "field work" and how it makes one doing only desktops any less of an appraiser.

bnmappraisal

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Florida
Define "field work"
Not sure if you directed this at me or JG, MCG, but I'll answer for myself

I'm obviously talking about RES appraising since I don't do COMM. I think it is pertinent for appraiser's to know what a RES appraiser does when inspecting a property. Books and theories and classes "teach you" what to do, but it is a little different when you're out there. That's what I meant by my comment anyway.

Again, I don't think one only doing desktops is any less of an appraiser than myself if they are a licensed/certified appraiser

hastalavista

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
California
I can see the benefit of having appraisers with field experience completing desktop appraisals vs. those without experience.

But, as always, the significant issue is the SOW for the assignment. As such, I do not believe that all desktops would necessarily be improved if the appraiser had experience in the field (advantageous/beneficial? Yes. Always necessary? No.).

J Grant

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Florida
I definitely don't begrudge any appraiser wanting to just do desktops. There are many reasons one might like this or even NEED to do this; health reasons come to mind and are often stated on this forum. I don't think this makes them any less of an appraiser than myself, who enjoys the field work.

I will agree with your comment in the OP that appraisers should have SOME field work experience. Books can teach you a lot, but can't replace first hand experience.

i don't begrudge anyone doing desktops either ( I may do them some day)....which Is why I started my post off saying that...but imo do to them well an appraiser should have a store of field experience to draw on. That is my POV, anyone can disagree.

Last edited:

J Grant

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Florida
Define "field work" and how it makes one doing only desktops any less of an appraiser.

For me, it means being out in the market ( the field , outside ones' home/office) and personally inspecting properties, to observe and learn about degrees of upgrade, conditions, repairs, etc and that affect on value. It means personally driving around neighborhoods and subdivisions, so when the appraiser analyzes properties in those areas, the appraiser has a context for it.

An appraiser who has observed properties first hand and then reads MLS descriptions of those properties develops a feel for how MLS listings might tend to gloss over/ignore deficiencies and exaggerates attributes, which helps appraiser analyse MLS listings on other properties. It means appraiser having conversations with or touring properties with while getting feedback/interaction from buyers, sellers, RE agents, builders, contractors, inspectors etc to build up a store of real world hands on knowledge and observation.

I don't think doing "only" desktops if one has a store of prior field experience to draw on makes one less of an appraiser . But it is my POV , that an appraiser with no or very skimpy field experience who does only desktops won't be able to bring the valuable knowledge and experience from the field to the process.

J Grant

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Florida
I also started this thread to address the posts that say " an AVM. or evaluation by an analyst, can replace an appraisal). No it can't , because among other reasons, the appraiser integrates their knowledge gained from years of field experience into analyzing and drawing conclusions from the data and market activity and different types of properties and their locations. I think most of us do this automatically and thus might discount it or what it means.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks