• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Desktops @ 50/hr

Status
Not open for further replies.

hastalavista

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
California
I'm sure a lot of appraisers received this email (sent via Working RE Magazine)

upload_2017-9-23_10-10-17.png

The rate was quoted at $50/hour. Not quoted was the estimated time to complete a desktop.

But certainly, the paragraph that describes "Staff Appraiser (v.2.0)" is going to become more prevalent.

hastalavista

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
California
i love how those things always provide assurance that they are USPAP compliant.
My guess is that some are and some aren't.
However, I'll guess further by saying those that aren't probably violate SR-2; in the same breadth, so do most of the pre-printed forms if one only relies on completing what is pre-printed.

D

Deleted member 134708

Exactly. All the ones I've seen the appraisers did not meet USPAP minimum requirements in the least. I acknowledge none of our reports meet 100% USPAP but these reports are like 5%.

They are being done as appraisal reports. They need to be done as restricted and they would be 75% compliant which would be acceptable.

hastalavista

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
California
That's true since they have no exposure to USPAP, only you have that :)

They list the USPAP compliance as a primary responsibility of the appraiser. So, compliance is where it should be (I'm assuming that if this entity has a QC process, then USPAP compliance may be part of their QC responsibility as well).

D

Deleted member 134708

Not sure if I want to say the company but I got call from them for desktops. I listened. They offer a signed version and a no sign version.

It's 100% web based and they subscribe to over 500 MLS aka nationwide. I said that's fine, I asked more about coverage area. They said our appraisers do nationwide.

I said, what? How do you get around geo-competency. He didn't really have an answer. He just said if you don't feel comfortable doing a desktop in New York then you can decline assignment.

So desktops apparently are a little dark market. Don't ask don't tell.

From this particular company, but where there's 1. There's more

hastalavista

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
California
Exactly. All the ones I've seen the appraisers did not meet USPAP minimum requirements in the least. I acknowledge none of our reports meet 100% USPAP but these reports are like 5%.

They are being done as appraisal reports. They need to be done as restricted and they would be 75% compliant which would be acceptable.

Nottrav-

Why would the report need to be restricted to be in compliance (or to have a better likelihood of being in compliance)?
The primary difference between a restricted appraisal report and appraisal report is two fold: (a) The client* is the only intended user (and there can be multiple clients) and (b) certain items in a restricted appraisal report are stated rather than summarized.
The SOW could be the same regardless of the reporting option. So, unless it is impossible (they have a pre-set format that is locked and can only be filled out with check boxes with no additional addendum) for the appraiser to summarize those items that are necessary to meet the appraisal report standard, why would a restricted report be more compliant than an appraisal report?

I get some don't consider a desktop to be sufficiently credible and therefore shouldn't be completed. That may be the case based on SOW and intended use; and an appraiser can make the business decision that desktop appraisals are something s/he doesn't want to do. But the reporting format isn't about credibility (an adequately developed appraisal can be reported credibility in either case), it is about compliance with the reporting (not development) standards.
The geo-competency issue you raise isn't a matter of the reporting format but is a matter of sufficient competency to complete the assignment given the intended use and SOW.

I'm not trying to put you on the spot. I'm trying to see if I'm missing something here about the difference between a restricted appraisal report and an appraisal report?

*Some argue that a 3rd party, such as an AMC, cannot order a restricted report because they are not the client. This is a USPAP issue and the USPAP clearly gives guidance that an AMC can act as an agent of another, so an AMC ordering a restricted report does not violate a USPAP provision.

D

Deleted member 134708

Why would the report need to be restricted to be in compliance (or to hav

My thinking. To save these appraisers from themselves is the sole reason.

I agree these can be done 100% compliant as appraisal reports. These appraisers are lazy and do them as if restricted.

So again, my only argument is to save appraisers from themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks