• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Did Some Threads Scare You?

No question avaiable to import.

• YES!!!! a lot!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes! Keeping my fingers crossed.

• Just a little.

• Not much.

• Not at all.

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
Florida
Did some of the threads and information here on this forum scare you when you first found us and stared reading?

We can't find out how individuals vote so please be honest on this. Tell your stories too if you'd like to.

There wasn't enough room on each line for the answer I wanted you to be able to choose from. Here's the way I wanted it to read:

------------------------------------

Yes! I can't believe what I've learned here and it does/did really scare me!!! I never knew what I was doing was so wrong!
------------------------------------------
Yes, I was scared! Hope it wasn't bad enough to get me into too much trouble if I ever get caught.
-----------------------------------------
Just a little, but not really too scared by what I did/used to do.
----------------------------------------
I'm not scared about the little mistakes I've made that I didn't know about, they were not biggies.
-----------------------------------------
Nope. I already knew everything.

Mike Simpson

Not at all;

I'm thankful to find a site where I could ask questions of appraiser's with such a wide diversity of knowledge.

I'm thankful to receive positive & negative feedback.

I'm thankful for news on current events.

...and I'm thankful it's free (I should not have said that...I shouldn't of said that--HAGRED).

IT'S NOT EVEN THANKSGIVING!!!

-Mike

Mountain Man

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Georgia
This place is the greatest learning experience for newbies (I wish this was around when I started) and veterans who THINK they know it all.

Being a one man shop, it's really nice to have other top notch appraisers to bounce questions and ideas off of. That is one thing I miss about working with a firm.

Willie

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Tennessee
M Leggett said it well. Not scared at all. Just helpfull.

G

ginadirocco

As a 1 1/2 year trainee who thought (for a while) I had a grip on this stuff, this forum is a reeeaaalll eye opener. . . but . . . I am very glad I found it.

I don't think "scared" is the word for this strange emotion. It's more like intimidated (not by the forum, but by the profession) and humbled.

I've found the forum most helpful when I know i can't make the number and need some moral support before sending the report (report support :p.

Thanks!

Jeff Horton

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Alabama
Yes, it scared me a little. I learned some things I was doing wrong that I didn't know. But I quickly changed those things too!

I know someone that gets scared everytime they read it. Excellent Appraiser but is scare to death of the State Board or a law suit or any kind of major confrontation. Reads the stories here and wants to quit appraising.

Got to add that this Board has been a real confidence booster in all aspects of my Appraising too! I know I have a resource when I don't know and hearing all the stories has made me toughen up and stand up when I am right. I don't back down now! But I am smart enought to pick my fights too. ;)

Blue1

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
California
Not at all. What really scares me is some of the "sharks" and "bottom feeders" out there that constantly try to get me to be un-ethical in order to line their own pockets. On this forum, far from being scared, I am helped and supported by other ethical professionals. There have been many times that scary circumstances have been avoided due to the excellent advice and counsel I have received here at the forum. I only hope I have been able to contribute some help to others as well.

Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
Florida
Come on people! So far, 80 have read this thread and no where near that many have answered.

I have a feeling this is going to be a good one! I'm constantly learning here!

Mary Fee

Freshman Member
Professional Status
State
Ohio
The threads don't scare me, most just confirm what I always felt was the correct thing to do.

The best thing about this forum for me is that even though I am a 2 person operation (my husband and myself), I feel like I have the support and knowledge of 100+ people. When I get really frustrated about this business, I just come here and realize what I am going through is happening to everyone else and that I am not alone.

This forum has made me a stronger person. I no longer apologize when I wont change something for an U/W. Now I just say a firm NO, they seem to respect me more. Of course, it could be that now I don't worry about people liking me, I just want them to respect my work.

Since my mentor passed away, this forum has been my mentor. I don't always agree with everything that is said here (politics) however, I would say that 98% of what is said on this site is great.

I spend about 1 hour a day here just lurking (someone else usually says what I would have said-so I rarely post). We need to petition the states to count this as continuing ed-it would should be manditory for pre-licensing too!

Thanks everyone,

Mary

TC

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Pennsylvania
M LEGGETT said it best:

Being a one man shop, it's really nice to have other top notch appraisers to bounce questions and ideas off of. That is one thing I miss about working with a firm.

When working in a big office someone was always on top of the latest software, someone knew USPAP inside out, and someone was a computer geek. This site has helped me out numerous times. Found out about the Disto, the free website for Flood maps, and got some info from Mr Ben V on HUD.

TC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks