• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Forum Sponsor - a la mode

QuickSource provides a single-source solution to easily import, compare, and manage data from multiple, credible sources in every report. See what the next game-changer is really all about.

Digital Camera Mini Cd, Flash Card Or ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

thomasstache

Freshman Member
Hi,

I have been using a film camera and am down to a few rolls of film ( I got a good deal on 1,000 rolls of 24 a few years ago )

I have to buy a new digital camera real soon. What is the best storage format. I'm looking at mini CD, Floppy diskette, Flash card, memory stick.

Is there a good all around digital camera as far as price, weight, and ease of use for appraisers ??

I read some posts here and it looks like the Sony and Cannon are at the top of the list.

Thanks,

Tom

Farm Gal

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Nebraska
Tom:
I sort of like the flash cards...
We went from 35mm to the Kodak DC40 (one of the original bricks...)

Now using a DC5000 which has the bonus advantage of being darn near indestrutcable...

It uses the little flash cards: and the one thing I HAVE learned is to make sure you leave the original LOW capacity card... in the dash for the inevitable trip out of office sans card :( . You can run out and get 35mm near anyplace, but those darn cards are hard to come by out in the country... :eek:

I like the fact that the card can be used for other purposes: the larger capacity ones can be used 'sort of' like a zip disc! There are many makers of readers also, so one is not limited: we have one 'dazzle' and one 'sandisc' reader.

The price for extra cards with high capacity storage is dropping fast. It seems to be a technology that may stick for at least a while :rolleyes: for those of us who buy cheap and use forever.

jus my opinion.

Roger

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Missouri
I really like the compact flash cards that my Kodak Cameras use. There is also a slot on my PDA for a CF card.

I bought a 256mb card at Sam's last week, for $68. My old cards were 8 & 32 MB. This new card holds over 1,000 medium quality images, plus a few MP3 files so that I and listen to some of my favorite tunes on the PDA.

Terrel L. Shields

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Arkansas
The Sony FD-100 has a memory stick and allows use of a floppy...both come in handy. I bought a large capacity Memory stick and it holds 100's of pix. The only annoying feature of the FD-100 compared to the cheaper floppy only FD-75 is the zoom goes back to minimum when shut off. The 75 stayed where it was set. With the .43 close up lens (which allows me to pix a full house only feet away) you get a fisheye picture once the 100 goes back to zero zoom.

The Sony is larger than some of the cameras and I prefer a little bulk just for ease of my clumsy hands handling it. The Sony 100 has 4 resolution settings. There is also a version CD-250?? which uses mini-CDs and stores huge numbers of pix.

Jo Ann Meyer Stratton

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Arizona
I am using a Cannon Elph with a 128 mb compact flash card. Have over 1,500 low resolution photos on the card and have room for 500 more. The card cost less than $40 and is providing cheap back up for all the photos I have taken over the last five months. The photos are save in folders 100 each, slowly, as I need space, I will just erase the oldest folder, one at a time. I like my Elph very much, it is small, has a stainless steel case and very easy to use.

KD247

Professional Status
State
California
Your new camera's storage medium shouldn't be a primary issue. Most new cameras plug into your computer's USB port, and the camera is immediately recognized as an external drive. If you then move (not copy) the pictures to your computer:

you'll spend about 10 seconds managing your photos
you'll never forget whether it's okay to erase the pictures on the camera
you'll never forget to put your memory card back into your camera
you'll never run out of disk space on the camera

Here's my procedure:
Take pictures
Plug the camera into the computer
A file window automatically opens up that shows something like G:\DCIM\10030408 (the folder was created by the camera on April 8, 2003)
Move (don't copy) the 10030408 file to my hard disk (this takes, literally, seconds)
Plug the camera in to the charger
Rinse and Repeat

My criteria for a camera:
Small
Fast power up, quickly ready for next picture
Capability for an inexpensive large memory card (most come with low-capacity card)
Automatically names pictures with date and sequence
Extra battery

I highly recommend using ACDSee for flipping through your photos, and I wouldn't monkey around with the camera's photo software or your appraisal software's photo management tool. Instead, just easily browse through your pictures in ACDSee and then copy (ctrl-C) and paste (ctrl-V) straight into your appraisal form. The original photo folders are in date order, so just leave them alone and you'll be able to easily find old photos. Every once in a while (or more often if you're concerned) copy your entire photo folder onto a CD, along with your appraisal reports.

Joshua Fookes

Professional Status
State
California
I use a Compact Flash card and reader. Very versitle, pretty tough. And getting darn cheap. I use it to transfer files back and forth from my office to my supervisors, and I also use it to move stuff from my PC to my Macs at my other job.

Highly recommended.

Josh

xmrdfghap

Professional Status
General Public
State
Florida
Buy two cameras

Get one of the better mega pixel cameras everyone else recommends, get one with high volume of storage capacity (media is irrelevant.....they all connect you your usb port) so you can shoot a few hundred pics without stopping (assuming you download every day, it will still be handy on vacation).

Then get a cheap (under $50.00) digital that runs on AA or AAA batteries. Use it for those shots when it is raining, when you have to go out to the barn, or whenever you feel like you might be putting your good one or your life :lol: ) in danger.

Terrel L. Shields

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Arkansas
media is irrelevant.....they all connect you your usb port)

Actually the Sony can connect to USB, use a reader, use a floppy, or what I use, a Sony floppy look alike that the flash card slips into and simply is stuck in the floppy drive. It works really well.

I gave my old Sony to my hired help...she had been using my old HP hand me down. This is much better for her... The old HP? That's now the back up camera..even though pony tail bands hold the door of the battery case together. It takes a passable image yet.

TC

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Pennsylvania
Yo Thomasstache,

When you purchase your first digital camera you might also want to replace that pesky rotary phone....
:D

Look around and buy what you feel comfortable with. I use the Sony Mavica with the memory stick plus the floppy. Great camera, in MHO. I have a bunch of memory sticks so I can always leave the camera in the car. In the old 35mm days, more than once I have left the camera in the office. That's why I never take it out of the car, just use the sticks.

TC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks