• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Direct Mail Postcards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeff Horton

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Alabama
I picked up an idea from National Association of Certified Home Inspectors which I recently joined about marketing my Home Inspection business. I make mention of the Appraisals also. But maybe someone could take this idea and adapt it to their market. Perhaps for PMI removal or something. I haven't seen a good way in our area (mostly rural) to use it yet.

For the Home Inspections I am thinking of once a week or so pulling up all the new listings and sending them the following postcard. I tried to put in a plug about my Appraisals but man are you limited on space on a postcard!

Welcome any comments or ideas on the post card too.

Postcard.gif

Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
Florida
Nice Jeff!!

You will be asked all sorts of questions about the value when you do a home inspections for any that call from this, I would think. How's your tap dancing skills? :D

Jeff Horton

Professional Status
State
Alabama
:rofl: I had not thought about that Pam but your right.

Which gives me an idea. I need to come up with a simple cheap Appraisal that I can complete quickly and price at around $150 and still make money. Then I would have something to offer those that ask instead of just dancing around.

About the only thing I can think of would be a 2055 form with no photos or maps. Very limited drive by type scope? This might be a market niche that no one is doing. Humm.

Mike Garrett RAA

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Colorado
I still have real heart burn about doing the home inspection and appraisal on the same property. Convince me I am wrong.

Jeff Horton

Professional Status
State
Alabama
We have had this debate on her before and I am not going to try to convince anyone. Your welcome to search the archives. No one has shown me (other than rambling personal opinions) that there is a problem or conflict.

Appraisal has to do with value of the Real Estate.

Home Inspection is about condition of the Real Estate.

If anything it makes me a better informed Appraiser. Wouldn't you as an appraiser take into consideration the findings or a Home Inspection if you had one at you access?

Mike Garrett RAA

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Colorado
There in lies the problem...as I see it. You have a level of expertise far greater then most appraisers. Should that then be the standard? Appraisers should be home inspectors? If you think we have problems now ... how about when we make conditions in the appraisal based on our home inspection expertise?

ccooper

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Missouri
Jeff,

I think postcards is a good idea for your home inspection side. When I was appraising and home inspecting at the same time, I sent out a flyer for my home inspection business with my quarterly newsletter (didn't I email you some samples last year? How did that work?)

No conflict with appraising and home inspecting. You are wearing slightly different hats but as long as you are properly disclosing problems and/or value influencing factors, your doing your job. When FHA changed and it sounded initially like we FHA appraisers were going to have to do a "semi" home inspection, I sent myself to home inspection school. I figured when Y2K hit, the refis would dry up real quick and we could use an alternate income stream. As it turned out, appraisal requests increased significantly and we kink of let the whole thing fall by the wayside.

Patrick Egger

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
State
Nevada
… sounds like a good idea. I would suggest you consider the following:

· Offer something free, create an “e-book” in adobe acrobat and offer to give them a free copy. Topics for the e-book could include info on home inspections, how to prepare for the inspection (move things out of the way, etc), common problems, testimonials, likely you could get a lot of this on the web and add to it as you go, a checklist on preparing a home for an appraisal, etc …

· Are you mailing to real estate agents as well … offer them a custom e-book … same one you create for the home seller, except “co-branded” with you and the Realtor, they can help with articles and content … and local lenders, insurance agents, etc may want a spot in the book. (create a realtor page with their photo, etc. these pages can be tailored to the realtor and inserted to the stock e-book to create the co-brand) …

The e-book is easy to create in adobe, the web is content rich, you can use photos from the web or ones you’ve taken as examples, etc … burn the book onto a business card cd or regular cd for the homeowner and realtor … update the book periodically so you have a different look and the latest news … etc.

Jeff Horton

Professional Status
State
Alabama
Great idea Patrick!! I have a CD business card all ready. Quite a few copies sitting on my desk so it's a bit late to add it but I love the idea.

I especially like the idea of allowing the Realtors to use it. Let them distribute it and advertise for me too!

Only thing I see is I don't want to look like I am working for the Realtors and therefore biased. That is something I have been very careful about. Don't want to appear to be the Realtors "pet" inspector nor appraiser. I just make sure it looks like an ad and not an endorsement. That could work. Thanks again, I love it!

Patrick Egger

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
State
Nevada
Jeff ...

I use to spend a lot of time in your area (Alabama-Gulf Shores) and I seem to remember that lawyers (at least in Ms) were often involved in the process (selling) and title companies as well, maybe some co-branding opp's there ...

You can be selective when it comes to the Realtors ... out here, they typically won't suggest one inspector vrs another ... always tend to give clients at least three lenders, title co's etc to choose from ... even if you were one of the three, would be a lot of work your way ...

You don't have to co-brand with the agent ... simply give them the e-book to give to their clients as an information tool when they list a property or if they are working with a buyer ... you could add tips/sections to the book on what to expect in each part of the process (buying, selling, closing, etc ..) and have those sections written by local experts (lawyers, title, insurance) and have all cover the costs and help with distribution ... maybe limit the contents to the 3rd party types ... just some thoughts.

The cd's are cheap to burn and the content material easy to come by ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks