• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Dirty Home

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tony Bartolini

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Florida
I fairly new to doing FHA appraisals. I came accross a home this week that did not have any structual issues, however the interior of home was very dirty inside. Home also has a cat urine smell. As a result of the lack of upkeep the home had a small roachs crawling around and nats flying around. I can address the infestion with a cost to treat the interior of the home, but I am not sure how to address the filth. The home needs a good cleaning(espically the carpet and vinyl flooring. Do I put a cost to cure on a cleaning crew to come to the home.

Hamlet

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Ohio
In general dirt is not an issue. However, the cat urine is a health issue. I'd cost to cure for the urine smell in the carpets and floors.

Riick

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Delaware
It might not be a cheap repair.
I know of one home where they were forced to remove & replace the underlayment throughout the 1st floor to get rid of the smell.

Lobo Fan

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
New Mexico
Cat urine is especially a problem. I would do it subject to a professional estimate to get rid of the smell. Also, if it is messy enough you may have not been able to see well enough to assess the condition of the walls and flooring. Another note to make.

If people are not going to wash dishes for 6 months at a time, how will they treat dripping plumbing? While housekeeping by itself is not an issue, it can raise red flags. It could easily be problem enough to become ineligible for FHA.

Takes lots of pictures. take copious notes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks