• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Forum Sponsor - a la mode

QuickSource provides a single-source solution to easily import, compare, and manage data from multiple, credible sources in every report. See what the next game-changer is really all about.

Disable Pop Up Msgs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tejus

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Texas
Compliments of Appraiser Central:

You've seen them and are probably tired of them. They pop up at will from your Windows desktop....

These pesky pop up messages are sent via a channel known as "net send" which is part of windows and is installed by default in Windows 2000, Windows NT and Windows XP. It was contained in Windows software originally so that Network Administrators could get a "universal" message out to their networks instantly. Therefore, to receive a message, the receiver doesn't have to have any extra software installed. Advertisers have jumped on to this and are sending out the trash they were sending out via bulk email.....

Below is disable. It can easily be enabled again - by the same route.

Windows 2000

Click Start->Settings -> Control Panel->Administrative Tools->Services
Scroll down and highlight "Messenger"
Right-click the highlighted line and choose Properties.
Click the STOP button.
Select Disable or Manual in the Startup Type scroll bar
Click OK

Windows XP

Click Start->Control Panel
Click Performance and Maintenance (or Administrative Tools)
Click Administrative Tools
Double click Services
Click the STOP button.
Click OK

Windows 98/ME

Remove or disable the file and printer sharing from your network configuration.

Ross (CO)

Professional Status
State
Colorado
Alan, .....Could not agree more, they are a total nuisance, and hard-pressed to believe that anyone enjoys them and can't wait for the next one to show up ! On equal par with the abuse rendered by our TV sets when commercials kick in and the volume level is automatically racheted up by at least 50% ! So, tell me more about that last option, please. I run on Win 98 2nd Edition, and everything clicks along just fine, and my earth rotates on its axis in about 24 hours. The one-line you offer does not tell me enough for how I might disable pop-ups. Are there several other steps that you can define to lead one through the process ? If a layman can still do....I'm game to learn how. Surely, I do not want to fix something that is not really broken. That word "configuration" still makes me want to act cautiously. Thanks.

David S. Roberson

Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Tennessee
I'm ready to do this too, Alan. But to qoute Zell, "Is it safe?"

Tejus

Professional Status
State
Texas
Sorry, but I doubt anybody can guarantee this or other system modifications are completely safe. There are too many configurations and possibilities to ensure there will never be a problem.

The XP/2000 updates are low risk. If you encounter a problem, then undo the setting. I made the XP update with no problems. However, I cannot confirm it is working because I have no way of identifying when a popup window attempts to appear on my screen and is blocked.

I am not familiar with the 98 update. I copied this post from the appraisercentral.com bb. I suggest you submit a followup post on their bb for clarification. Maybe the original submittor can answer this.

IMHO, I think there are actually two general classes of pop up windows. Class 1 is the unsolicited broadcast msg which this change should prevent. Class 2 is the pop up msg from an application which is already running on your system, typically when you view a web site. I don't think you can block the Class 2 msg's because applications running on your system may need to create valid pop up windows to interact with the user. If the application wants to abuse this privilege, I don't know if there is a technique to determine between a good popup and an abusive popup. I know there is sw which claims to block Class 2 popups, but I don't know how they distinguish between a good and a bad popup.

If in doubt, don't modify your system until the benefits outweigh the risks.

cheers.

Charlotte Dixon

Professional Status
State
Delaware
Compliments of Appraiser Central:

You've seen them and are probably tired of them. They pop up at will from your Windows desktop....
Below is disable. It can easily be enabled again - by the same route.

Windows 2000

Click Start->Settings -> Control Panel->Administrative Tools->Services
Click the STOP button.
Click OK

Mine says "Disable" after following the above directions, but the popups are still there, in fact, I think they became angry and multiplied!

Roger

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Missouri
When I got rid of the pop ups, I also disabled access to one of the on line MLS systems that I use.

This is an InoVia MLS system, and the property screens work the same as those pop ups work.

Charlotte Dixon

Professional Status
State
Delaware
When I got rid of the pop ups, I also disabled access to one of the on line MLS systems that I use.

This is an InoVia MLS system, and the property screens work the same as those pop ups work.

Roger...I have InoVia MLS and Trend MLS and they work fine. In addition to changing the setting on "messenger" in my system, I downloaded POW which was recommended in this thread (free). What a relief! As these pesky things pop up, I add them to my POW list and they're gone forever! I just did another test on InoVia and Trend and there are no problems. Good luck to you!

Charlotte

Ross (CO)

Professional Status
State
Colorado
Charlotte, ......I scrolled back up to see the reference to "POW". Could not locate it. Was it in another recent thread ? Is this like a quarantine place that recognizes in-coming cyber-sources and blocks their re-entry in the future ?

Another general question -- How connected is the "cookies" thing to the issue of pop-ups ? I know one can create varied levels of security and acceptability for "cookies", and in doing so this does affect to overall speed with which one gains access to sites and information transfer,(yes?) Why must the cookies stuff be there at all ?

Charlotte Dixon

Professional Status
State
Delaware
Charlotte, ......I scrolled back up to see the reference to "POW". Could not locate it. ?

Another general question -- How connected is the "cookies" thing to the issue of pop-ups ? I know one can create varied levels of security and acceptability for "cookies", and in doing so this does affect to overall speed with which one gains access to sites and information transfer,(yes?) Why must the cookies stuff be there at all ?

Ross...sorry, I read so much that I misdirected you. Check out Tech/Hardware Forum: "Sick & Tired of Pop Up Ads 9/3/02"...then, Lawrence Silverman's post on 9/23/02 in that thread...That's the POW I downloaded. It's great and doesn't interfere with my multi-list sites at all. It could be my imagination, but my computer is flying today, maybe because there are no popups to slow it down. Now, cookies? Don't know much about that, but I'm sure most do. All I know is I'm enjoying my computer today with no popups (after clicking them into my POW site when they appear). That's a one time thing. So far, 8 are in there and I'll never see the hidden camera thing, lose weight now, or any of the other junk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks