• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Disabled Appraiser - What To Do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dnilgis

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Appraiser Trainee
State
Wisconsin
Imagine you are an appraiser and have mobility restrictions, wheelchair, etc.

How can you continue your practice when vendors require that the signing appraiser personally inspect all areas of a home? Are no allowances made for appraisers with a disability to have an assistant help with interior inspections when needed?

Any comments?

residentialguy

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Minnesota
Some jobs are not right for everyone. You could have an assistant help, but it would probably not be cost effective.

SnoValues

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Minnesota
Might be forced to "ride a desk" as a reviewer or only accept drive-by or land appraisals.

Bobby Bucks

Elite Member
Professional Status
Real Estate Agent or Broker
State
North Dakota
Reviews and desktops are an option. I don't personally know anyone who does desktops fulltime, I but they do exist. I do know several who do desktops part time and never leave home. If one is able to drive they could still do 2055 exteriors.

CindyR

Professional Status
State
Arizona
there are lots of jobs that lots of people can't do if they are no longer able to physically perform them. no allowances.

Meandering

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Pennsylvania
Imagine you are an appraiser and have mobility restrictions, wheelchair, etc.

How can you continue your practice when vendors require that the signing appraiser personally inspect all areas of a home? Are no allowances made for appraisers with a disability to have an assistant help with interior inspections when needed?

Any comments?

Are you familiar with the ADA laws?

How about employment laws in regard to ADA?

I suggest you read up on both before you take anything else stated in this thread as sound advice.

Tom Woolford

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Florida
I've been struggling with this question as my Arthritis slowly destroys my major joints. So far, I've had to give up larger homes, I simply can't get around them, 2 story,( stairs, yeah thats not happening), and FHA with crawl spaces. I can get down, but can't get back up. All FHA is going to have to go pretty soon as even 5 steps on a ladder is agony.

I've pretty much come to the same conclusions as mentioned above: Desk (technical) reviews, desktop appraisals and probably (gasp), appraiser assisted AVM's. I can probably keep pretty much the same income level since I'm not spending time driving, and supplies will be less. 2055 exteriors IS an option, but they are very few these days. I just have to make darn sure everything is USPAP compliant before climbing aboard.

Meandering

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Pennsylvania
Then I won't break your heart and tell you there is a legally blind appraiser in PA, who is certified as an appraiser, and is working as one.

Read the ADA laws.

residentialguy

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Minnesota
Most good appraisers are self-employed and ADA laws aren't applicable. Lenders don't know if you're handicap, but you have to be able to do the job.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks