• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Discount?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blue1

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
California
Just had a call from a client......Borrower has several rentals (SFR/3-plex/2-plex) etc. Wanted to know if I would give a discount because the properties are all from one borrower. Had to think about that one.....I said "Well, no it's the same amount of work for me" What do y'all do in these cases?

jtrotta

Blue

you said yer Client called, I'll assume it is oneof yer steady guys/gals- what I generally due is grnat a discount, but on a per deal basis; in other words ifn ya charge $325 (SF) I may discount it $25 / and so forth, just so my Client doesn't go elsewhere, I'd hate ta blow a significant amount of work jus to rub their face in it, but I won't severly discount anythin - the work load is still there, so some portion can be discounted ifn ya feel the love :mrgreen:

:ph34r:

wyecoyote

Professional Status
Gvmt Agency, FNMA, HUD, VA etc.
State
Washington
Blue,

I agree with you especially if they are completely different properties.

Ryan

Jeff Horton

Professional Status
State
Alabama
I have to agree with what has been said. Unless there is some time savings in it for you. Like similar properties where you can clone reports full fee. If it meant not getting it and you wanted or needed the work then I MIGHT discount some token amount.

W

walt kirk

This is a business decision. If you want to please a good client by all means offer a discount. If you need or want the work of course a slight discount may make certain that you get the assignment.

Consider the fact that you will only have to deal with one mortgage company for several orders and that the bother factor for these assignments would be reduced. There are no hard and fast rules but if a good customer, or a customer that I hoped would be a good customer, asked me for a discount I would consider it a marketing expense.

Mountain Man

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Georgia
Like Trotta and Walt, it depends on the client...... and what kind of a head ache they will be. I would only offer a discount after I saw what kind of a work load I'm dealing with, and if I could use the same data or clone a report for like kind properties.

Professional Status
State
Florida
Blue 1,

If you want the job, you'll just about have to give some sort of a discount. The advantages of cloning looks good until you try it. There's always something different about "identical" properties. And the cloning process induces errors you would not otherwise have, and they are difficult to detect.

If the owner of those properties reads the reports, he/she will spot the errors, for sure.

By the time you get all mixed up about which comp and which fact applies to which property, you'll wish you never had the job. I can see it now, piles of papers everywhere.

Regards,

Tom

Larry Lyke

If this is a new client (which you didn't say), the answer is yes if you have the room to take on the work.

The first appraisal is $100 more than you normally charge, and the rest are discounted at $50 more than you normally charge.

And, everybody is happy. Get it?

You gotta start working smarter tbecause the AVMs are gonna cream your market.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks