• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Divorce Appraisal

Status
Not open for further replies.

larryhaskell

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Nevada
I have a ? for those of you that do divorce appraisals. What kind of discreet wording do you use for the purpose of the appraisal?

airphoto

Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
Pennsylvania
"Valuation for the purpose of a divorce proceeding .."

Geoff Hatcher

Professional Status
State
Ohio
Purpose of Appraisal is to develop an opinion of the market value of the fee simple estate inherent in the subject property to assist in the division of marital assets

A

Anonymous

Geoff,
That is good, you can charge an extra hundred dollars for that.

Terrel L. Shields

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Arkansas
50% for lawyer A; 50% for Lawyer B; divided the debt among the victims

Richard Carlsen

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Michigan

When I was selling real estate, a good closing was when you walked away from the closing with more money than the lawyer.

For an appraiser, a good report is one that the lawyer cannot make any money off of questioning something in the report.

BTW, there is no USPAP requirement to be "discreet" in a report. Attempting to walk around an issue can create more problems than feelings that are saved from being hurt by telling the truth right out. These are big people and they known what they are going through.

"The purpose of this appraisal is for valuation of the real property herein as marital assets in conjunction with a pending divorce proceeding."

jtrotta

Terrel
been there / done that :?: :lol: - me too

Richard
good form; wording very good; poise & composure- excellent, but my real question is, is it necessary to put anything into the report like this because it may be considered "Bias" by either party :?: After all it's our job to produce a product relative to "Market Value" per the inspection date as noted. By pointing to a "specific cause", could someone misinterpret the report because we are naming a specific reason :?: for this report.

My example here would be; forclosure work :wink:

8)

Richard Carlsen

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Michigan
I don't think that I have ever done one where both parties to a divorce were my clients. Either the husband or the wife is retaining me for the appraisal. My opinion is something they bring to the bargaining table for the settlement. Therefore, I wouldn't worry about the reason being misinterpreted. This is for the divorce. If they want to use it for lending, I will have to rework the report because in a private valuation like this, I am not bound by the secondary market guidelines. I can be as creative as I want in using any data in arriving at an opinion of value.

If one of the parties wants to use the report for buying out the other, then I write the report for the secondary market and note that also in my purpose. They also know that there will be a slight charge to put a new appraisal in the banks name. Either way, if you don't spell out why you are doing the report, there is more likely to be confusion and suspicion about the findings than if you come right out and say that it is for a divorce proceeding.

Jim McGrath

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Florida

If one of the parties wants to use the report for buying out the other, then I write the report for the secondary market and note that also in my purpose. They also know that there will be a slight charge to put a new appraisal in the banks name. Either way, if you don't spell out why you are doing the report, there is more likely to be confusion and suspicion about the findings than if you come right out and say that it is for a divorce proceeding.

Richard, any more in appraisals for divorces, estates, and homeowners, I always include the phrase, "this appraisal is not for a federally related transaction, and may not meet all the requirements for such a use".
This keeps me from getting requests asking me to change the name so the bank can use it, or a buyer wants it for a loan. Most lenders will shy away from this appraisal because of the phrase. Even though in actuality it meets most requirements. They don't know all the requirements, and don't want to take a chance. So for an additional fee slightly lower that the first fee, I will make this new appraisal that will meet the requirements needed.

Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks