• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Do I Need A Supervisor For Most Appraisals?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ucbruin

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Massachusetts
"In 1492 when you got your license they were still unloading the Mayflower"

Well, it was 3:20 AM when this was posted!!! :peace:

J Grant

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Florida
What does an "associate appraiser" mean...are you still a trainee status for the license?

I don't understand how you can expect to maintain a good relationship with this supervisor, while going behind their back to do work without them supervising or signing. And it sounds like the supervisor is putting in effort- the OP said they went on 2 of the 4 inspections with you, they review the report etc. If you are the one bringing in the work, perhaps ask for a higher split of the work you bring in. If they say no , suck it up till end of the trainee period. You also can be honest with them and say you'd like to take on some extra work that does not need their signature to make extra side $, are they okay with that?

Whatever you do, don't go behind their back , it;s a small appraisal world in a regional area, and not a good idea for many reasons. You might want to partner up with him later after you get licensed on certain jobs, he may be sent some of your reports to review by lenders, he can be in the position to recommend you or not later for a bank panel and so on. (plus for your own reputation and ethics ).

Terrel L. Shields

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Arkansas
I know of NO lenders who will accept an appraisal from someone who has only a trainee license.
I can name 5 off the top of my head in this area. At least 2 of those have changed hands in the past few years and I don't know their current policy, but I do know an ex-CG who does work for 2 of the others and he has no license, not even the registered appraiser license.
In 1492 when you got your license they were still unloading the Mayflower.
Missed by 500 years but our regs are very little changed from then...we were NOT grandfathered in. Every report I submitted and did had to comply with USPAP before licensing.

J Grant

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Florida
I will share this perspective with the OP. and it is not about if non supervisor appraisals are "allowed" to be done .

I've learned the hard way ... there are long term consequences/gains from decisions, and short term consequence/gain, and if the two clash, the short term is rarely worth it.

Nothing wrong with going after orders not needing a supervisor, but I would ask them first and get their permission first. They might be fine with it, or not but I would clear it with them and if they are fine or just want a small % then that would be great .

glenn walker

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
California
OK- Just some thoughts and advice from a guy that has seen it all. First get your head screwed on because you say you are located in a Rural Area with almost no appraisers within a 60 mile radius. Goal one is get your hours in and get your full License and since you say you are doing Agricultural and other complex assignments I assume you will need a CG and most likely you are not going to find another Supervisor who knows your market or wants a trainee. Next DO NOT think you are going to go around the guy you are working for because in small tight nit community everybody knows everyone else's business and your Supervisor if a nasty guy could throw you under the bus in many ways.

Karma has a way of biting back and you never know your Supervisor may have already been contacted by some of his clients and he is just sitting back watching you set the trap. So change those passwords on your computer and phone because he may have engaged a Russian troll farm to keep an eye on you : ) LMAO

Tom D

Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Pennsylvania
i used to do a 60/40 split with my crew, long, long ago. they were good, i had no headaches after i trained them. if you are bringing in the work also, then i would easily give you 60%, or more. that is a negotiating factor, 40%, all profit for me, and i don't lose you. r.e. brokers used to be like that, then some offices figured out to give the top sales person more, to keep them there. of course some bosses think the penny should be in their pocket, not yours. but for now, the money you make may be more than the money you will lose, if you do the wrong timing.

i was lucky, the MAI i started with, the previous century, payed a little more. he didn't have time to do the residential. i did a lot in those old days for him, 12 a week, it was good for both of use. oh, that was right after the polaroid picture, of just the front of the house, stapled to the report. i'm getting a tear in my eye just thinking of that time.

leelansford

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Illinois
I can name 5 off the top of my head in this area. At least 2 of those have changed hands in the past few years and I don't know their current policy, but I do know an ex-CG who does work for 2 of the others and he has no license, not even the registered appraiser license.

Missed by 500 years but our regs are very little changed from then...we were NOT grandfathered in. Every report I submitted and did had to comply with USPAP before licensing.

I don't know about license law in other states, but, an unlicensed "appraiser" (Trainee license or not) here in Illinois doing appraisals for any client would face a charge of unlicensed practice and fined.

Terrel L. Shields

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Arkansas
but, an unlicensed "appraiser" (Trainee license or not) here in Illinois doing appraisals for any client would face a charge of unlicensed practice and fined.
The evaluators claim they are exempt from licensing laws and the Ledge failed to solve that problem this year despite the urging of the board. Secondly, we have a complete screw up which the ASC pounced on. You send your $50 and become a "registered appraiser" (RA)- no requirements except you cannot do FRT, and you can state you are NOT complying with USPAP. That law has been on the books years intended to carve out space for court work for horticulturalists, petroleum engineers, art, machinery, etc. to testify. When we adopted trainee regs, well, they just registered them as RA's. It is a mess. We wanted to force evaluators to at least be RAs.

But the AG counsel says the law is too broad and the board cannot force anyone to license who does evaluations. So anyone can be an evaluator. So long as it isn't an FRT, these unlicensed evaluators (who normally refrain from calling themselves "appraisers" but do call their value 'market value') can do all the work the bank wants them to do. And they don't have to be employees of the bank, although one bank did have an in house evaluator until the bank sold. She may still be there. Another local bank is calling below de minimus reports evaluations even when an appraiser does them...about $175 on one I saw recently...just a desktop with the loan officer providing the picture. The guy did it from 70 miles away...on the fringes of our MLS coverage. He missed the woman's home office building completely calling it a storage shed. She is a tax preparer.

The ex-CG I knew was very good, but when things slowed he joined an evaluation company, does commercial at half price, and (reluctantly) dropped his license. His boss insisted so. He hasn't regretted it yet. (btw, is ex-forumite) They can hardly keep up with the sub-'de minimus' work.

CANative

Elite Member
Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
California
Iowa is a Voluntary state.

Certified/licensed appraisers not required for any appraisal/evaluation assignments. If appraisers wish to perform appraisals in such federally related transactions and real estate related transactions, appraisers can choose to become certified/licensed and submit to the State's regulatory jurisdiction.

If you have any question as to whether or not the intended use is for an FRT then decline or work with your (or another) supervisor. But how about tax appeal, date of death retrospective, pre-listing valuation, etc., etc. All private and you could do them on your own. Just be careful.

CANative

Elite Member
Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
California
FWIW.... My post does not mean the OP can do anything he wants as long as the assignment is not for an FRT. I could tell him I want him to appraise my neighbors property to that I can mock him but that I required an appraiser who is licensed at the Certified level. The OP cannot accept this assignment despite the states licensing requirement and that this is not an FRT.

And it's more than just FDIC. Lot's of other types of users such as some FCU's, etc. Users like FNMA, FHA, etc. are not FRT's but they required licensed appraisers. So it's not clear cut and easy.

Do houses and land for regular people and get full fees and hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks