• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Do Some College Courses Meet The Education Reqs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patricia Dominguez

Freshman Member
I was wondering because I only have two classes left to meet the 90hrs, but one of them is the Math for Real Estate. And since I am a math major at the University I think it's kind of silly for me to take a seperate course which is below then the current level of Math I am currently in. I have taken various Calculus courses, Differential Equations, and Linear Algebra to name a few. Plus the requirement for the Real Estate calculator to understand the course just bugs me. I have a TI-86 and I can program it to handle any formula, but from looking at the book they don't even explain the theory or formula's used to derive the solution. Just punch this key and you get this answer :angry:

xmrdfghap

Professional Status
General Public
State
Florida
If you are a mathematician, why do you want to be an appraiser????

I felt the same way when I had to take history or English in college. It was a long time before I got anything that challenged me.....classical literature was mostly stuff I had read when I was in my early teens. But, I paid the tuition and I passed the courses.

Of course you know all the formulas, the programs, and all the theorys, but are you sure there isn't a thing you CAN learn? Do you know all the jargon? Can you do regression analysis and keep up with Paul or George? If not, perhaps you could begin there.....ask some pointed questions.

Otherwise, kick back and try not to snore too loudly.....I guarantee this will not be the last wasted class you take. Just wait until you get to some of the CE classes that are out there.

Carnivore

Elite Member
Supporting Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
North Carolina
Patricia,

I understand what your saying. Greg's advice is very good , but like at the watercooler he sometimes leaves things out. :) Since your one of those who does not like to waste time. May I suggest that during you next two classes you open the class outline as if your paying attention and place on top of it USPAP 2003 opened to page 1. Use this oppurtunity to read over and over again standards 1, 2 & 3. If your bored you might read all of the AO's and statements. After 12 years and about 4,000+ appraisals I still keep my copy of the current USPAP on the floor next to my desk. I keep all the past issues in the lower drawer of my desk. All my other refence material is located in a book case behind me in my home office.

Patricia Dominguez

Freshman Member
Oh and in response to GoodPasture I parlayed the math skill to get me in the Dotcom world we all know where that went. I decided to since I took alot of business classes I want to get into Real Estat and Accounting, yeah it's not as fun but I know it's easier then keeping up with all the latest developement software even though I still do it part time, who knows maybe, who knows maybe when the Refi boom stops and I can't make enough dough I will do appraisals part time and fall back on my computer skills.

Also I never intended on have a straight math focused career, I just wasn't sure what I did want and wanted a good challenge. One thing about being a pisces is that you try to wear too many masks, did I mention I am certified to do taxes also............. :redface:

I just don't ever want to be stuck again after my first layoff.

I was thinking more of the saving money aspect, then I can't learn anything. I love learning new things a bit too much.

Mike Garrett RAA

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Colorado
In my state the courses have to be real estate oriented...but yes, they do count! In fact, you can forego all appraisal courses if you have a degree in real estate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks