• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Do you share data with other appraisers? Multiple Answers Allowed

Do you share data with other Appraisers? Multiple Answers Allowed

• I will share my data with any appraiser who calls for free

Votes: 27 25.2%
  • I will share my data with any appraiser for $25 to $50/Comp

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I will share my data with any appraiser for $50 to $75/Comp

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • I will share my data with any appraiser for $75+/Comp

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I will only share my data with appraisers I know and for free

Votes: 70 65.4%
  • I will only share my data with appraisers I know and I charge

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • I do not share my data with appraisers I don’t know

Votes: 25 23.4%
  • Sharing of comps for an appraiser is the same as a comp check

Votes: 3 2.8%
  • I share my data with the appraiser who have under under-bided me

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • I do not share data with the appraiser who have under-bided me

Votes: 16 15.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Elliott

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Oregon
So do you help out that appraiser you don't know who does the
AMC FHA for $159? Come'on they just need a few comps.
And you bid it for $425.

Multiple Answers Allowed

Last edited:

PropertyEconomics

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
New Mexico
So do you help out that appraiser you don't know who does
FHA for $159? Come'on they just need a few comps.

Multiple Answers Allowed

My charge for sharing such data, assuming they do not have access to my local MLS, is $15,150. $50 per comparable (three) for my time, and they must pay the $5,000 per comparable fine assessed by my MLS system for sharing data with non members.

Kinda makes that $159 fee look really .... well cheap doesnt it?

Mztk1

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Florida
I'll help out and share with any appraiser who calls. An appraiser who is doing due diligence by calling appraisers who he believes are competent in an area is, by definition, is not going to be a skippy, and by helping one another and sharing our knowledge, I think it could go a long way towards consistency, better reports, and securing the public trust.

Elliott

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Oregon
Jim,
So you would have given comps to that famous NC appraiser when
he was doing appraisals in FL?

Mike Garrett RAA

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Colorado
If it is a local appraiser I know...no problem. If it is an appraiser from, say, Denver who comes down and takes assignments from local appraisers...Hell no!

Mike Kennedy

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
New York
Answer #11 ONLY. " I do not share specific subject or comparable data". Local and Regional Appraisers have access to exactly the same databases and Live data sources. Those who do not are welcome to refer the assignment - geocompetency IMO includes having direct access to the necessary data. Note: I refer Clients to known out of area professional, ethical, Appraisers ALL the time absent any "split". They reciprocate. What goes 'round comes 'round.

Last edited:

Mike Phillips

Professional Status
State
Florida
I view low AMC fees as nothing more than a function of supply and demand so I do not consider what my peer charges when I make the decision to share data. IMO AMCs gained a foothold in this industry because of the ignorance of sweatshop puppy-mills hell-bent on serving their own bottom lines, many of whom do not view this vocation as anything more than that - a vocation - and have no real concern if appraising ever becomes a profession.

IMO the supervisors/appraisal firm owners who caused this mess would have been just as happy installing sprinkler systems or striping cars for parts using illegal labor as producing appraisals, but they picked appraising because it was "cleaner" and the field was ripe to be expolited.

Add to that recklessly low barriers to entry which were designed to insure there would never be a shortgage of appraisers.

That said, my primary concern when I share data is (1) the accuracy of the data, (2) whether the appraiser is likely to ever acquire data I need (3) whether I can count on that appraiser to share with me and (4) whether the appraiser will respect the confidential nature of some of the data I provide.

Steer

Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Maine
It is not uncommon for me to get a call on a home that I have appraised in the past.

Most of the time, it's one of my competitor appraisers who are trying to find the ACTUAL GLA and ABOVE GRADE ROOM COUNT.

Dam$ realtors in this area routinely call a 28 X 40 ranch with finished basement a 2240 sqaure foot home.

That really pi$$es me off as the avatar indicates

Caligirl

Professional Status
State
California
I share non-confidential rental data with a group of appraisers I know and trust.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks