• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Does Anyone Really Find Mentors On This Board? Lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

dezra

Sophomore Member
I sent out a bunch of emails to appraisers and no one -- NOT ONE was even a tad bit interested. Infact, we were viewed as competition. Dang we want in this field and are even willing to offer a split of our home inspections (we are working towards certification), but can't find anyone to take us on. Has ANYONE received any mentor interest from these boards?

:eyecrazy:

Paul Shraga

Sophomore Member
weee''llllll

I'd say, sadly, not exactly. many people have "viewed" my post of last month, however, I have not gotten any emails or calls from it.

I have called someone in my area who had posted "trainees wanted", however, we ran into a MD vs VA snafu, which I am hopefully going to corect soon!

good luck.

CHeers,

Paul

Allen Bruckner

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Florida
I found my current mentor on this board. I am thinking of changing to a differnt company. when I make the decission I will let you know where to look.

Allen

Ghost Rider

Professional Status
Banking/Mortgage Industry
State
Connecticut
I'm looking for someone in Connecticut, but is seems like a lack of appraisers from my state on the board.........

dezra

Sophomore Member
Allen:

You actually received an offer from this board? Wow, my hope is up for the day now. Where do you live? :asleep:

Bobby Bucks

Elite Member
Professional Status
Real Estate Agent or Broker
State
North Dakota
If anyone finds a mentor by simply posting on a message board, I'd be amazed. When I decided I wanted to jump from brokerage into appraising I called about 20 different local appraisers to pick their brain about the future of appraising, what it requires, what a typical day, week, month and career would be like. All but 2 of them were very negative to the point of being discouraging. In retrospect, maybe they saw me as competition. Also bear in mind that most appraisers are not looking to hire anyone. They may be close to retirement, they might have no interest in expanding or they might be overloaded because they do things other than appraising.... ie. building or investing. I would wager to bet only 1 business out of 10 is even remotely interested in hiring a trainee. You're still applying for a job and the best way to do this is by somehow appearing in PERSON in front of your potential boss. Resumes, emails and phone calls might plant a seed, but getting hired is a direct sale no matter what you call it. I met Lord William while trying to sell him some land. I talked to him about 10 times before he took me seriously and after that it was 2 years as a galley slave in the sweat shop from hell. He was rude, arrogant and disrespectful but in hindsight, he taught me the ugly side of the business as well as the good. I always got the worst assignments with the worst clients which forced me to get my own accounts. For that I am grateful. Entering this business is like most others, you need to be face to face with the decision maker to get hired. I hope this helps.

dezra

Sophomore Member
Bobby:

I think that's great advice, but most are so busy that you never catch them in the office (they are always in the field) and they never return your calls. I have gotten actual responses via email, but with a ratio of 1:10. Still, the responses received were informative or expressive of some key element in the appraisal community, which was helpful.
I have gleaned an overall feeling of protectiveness and self-preservation in my area. This seems to be common, however, to most areas, from what other newbies are saying on these boards. It is particularly strong in our area, due to it being one of economic poverty. Not that other parts of the U.S. aren't as bad, because I know of some that most definitely are. But it is in front of my nose and what I must overcome. Your advice has alot of merit, so I will seek some way to have direct contact with appraisers (foregoing ordering an appraisal). I wonder if there are local appraiser meetings or organizations? I will have to find out, and see if anyone is willing to ante up some time. :yellowblack:

hal380

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Connecticut
Hello Dezra;

If I were you, I would attend as many Appriaisal Institute or IFA meetings that I could locate. If you have taken your courses, check with the instructors for referrals. I would canvas all the realtors, mortgage brokers, banks, and of course appraisal firms. And then I would keep doing all of this until I did land a situation.

Now go and keep pounding down the high spots. :D

Hal

dezra

Sophomore Member
Hal:

That is also an excellent suggestion. There are no if's, and's, or but's about it, I am going after a mentor if that mentor doesn't come to me. I just don't know where that mentor is hiding. *G* Guess I'll uproot em though. Thank you! :yellowblack:

Carnivore

Elite Member
Supporting Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
North Carolina
Dezra,

Take this advice and think about it. (because I have)

1. Which state our you from, cant tell by looking at your profile. - Will not take the time to market!

2. Every time someone gives you a great suggestion, you throw back a negative comment. - Bad attitude?

3. She says she have been to an appraisal school. - No competitive edge, run of the mill.

4. Has a home inspection business, not certified YET! - Fails to follow through to completion.

5. Has a home inspection business. - Probably leave me once she is certified as home inspector.

6. ect

7. ect

8. ect

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks