• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Does the mentor have to physically inspect all properties?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ginny Eiseman

Freshman Member
I've been a licensed trainee for over 7 months and was training for several months prior to getting my license. I've been doing appraisals on my own without my supervisor with me for several months now. She carefully reviews my work and we both sign it. I always mark the box which states she wasn't present at the inspection. None of the clients has ever raised a question about it but recently another appraiser told her that she absolutely has to be present at every inspection. This concerned both of us and I wrote an email to our state licensing board, who said they'd get back to me and of course they haven't. I've searched our state regulations and can't find an answer and I was sure that it was discussed at one of the AI classes I took. If she has to be present it will have fairly drastic consequences for me since I live in a rural isolated community and she'd have to fly here for every appraisal. She did this for the first several months but now it would dramatically effect turn around time, not to mention costs.

Lisa Alleva

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
New York
Hi Ginny,

Some banks do not accept reports from licensed trainees. Only in these cases must a supervisor inspect the property. Most of the time, they won't even assign the job to you.

As a licensed apprentice, you are able to do your own appraisals providing that you have a certified appraiser sign off on them. I've done over 100 and two came back from banks that don't accept licensees. Chase is one bank that doesn't. Merrill Lynch is another.

So, don't worry. Some of these under writers are real pain in the butts!! LOL Just keep doing what you're doing.

Lisa A.

Mike Garrett RAA

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Colorado
It depends! Most of my clients don't require the supervisory appraiser to physically inspect the property. Those that do get me exclusively.

Terrel L. Shields

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Arkansas
As supervisor, I inspect the interior of all secondary market appraisals. My clients don't mind a trainee signing, but they want me to be the appraiser of record, i.e. - I am the one on their vendors list and must take full responsibility for the report. For non-Secondary mkt, I usually only do a driveby exterior inspection for experienced appraisers.

I will double check all trainees work in every way for at least the first 1 year regardless. We do not do 2055s except as a requirement (we have done 2 in 5 years) of the lender. We price 2055 same as 1004.

It is suicide to simply sign off with a trust-me attitude towards a trainee. Trainees are often pressed for cash. They may attempt to fake a comp, hurry and miss something, or just make poor judgments. I know of one appraiser sanctioned over a bogus sale when a trainee inserted an expired listing with a fallen contract as sold. The property was a difficult subject and errors were numerous. The trainee would have gotten away with it except he missed the value by 50% or more. UW reported it to the state. The supervisor simply signed without doing even the most cursory review of that work. He had no idea what had taken place and simply had to throw himself to the mercy of the board. As unlicensed the trainee suffered nothing, only the supervisor. He had to take USPAP and send a monthly list of work and submit any of those reports to the state for inspection upon request. He was lucky to come out that good. Today, the sanctions might be more substantial.

Alan Gertner

Professional Status
State
Texas
The same question arose in Texas. I contacted the state appraisal board and was told the mentor must accompany the trainee until the mentor is confident the trainee can perform the inspection on his own.

Sooooo, the mentor may make 1 trip or many trips.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks