• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

DOT and Transfer Deed Discrepancy

Andee

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Texas
I'm in the process of doing my history research for my comps and came across a transfer deed with a deed of trust that have a discrepancy in ownership. The DOT shows the Grantors as the Borrowers, however the Grantee on the transfer deed are the people that were the Grantee's on the prior transfer deed. This is for the sale that just took place on the comp. What is our responsibility for reporting the discrepancy?

Example:

Transfer Deed January 2019 from Smith to Johnson

Transfer Deed November 2019 from Williams to Johnson, references promissory note to mortgage company
Deed of Trust November 2019 (same date) shows Williams as borrowers, matches mortgage company name referenced in transfer deed

Thanks for any info.

Artemis Fowl

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Michigan
Thinking EA, disclose and move on. Deed mistakes happen. Unless there is reasonable evidence to think a real issue exists. On the other hand, just don't use the comp. End of day, is value indication from comp really affected by a possible scribner's error?

Alternately, there is some funny business going on. Same applies IMO.

sputnam

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
North Carolina
I agree. We really don't have any responsibility other than to disclose. If you want to, you can certainly inform DOT of the error in their info.

Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks