• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Drive by, Multi family

Status
Not open for further replies.

jwand125

Freshman Member
Recieved an order for drive by and told client it is multifamily 2 units, lenders said drive by ok. Ive never done this before. Is there a form or regular 2055. How can I do this
thanks

Ben Vukicevich SRA

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
New Jersey
J,

You can complete an appraisal on any form you wish as long as it conforms to USPAP. You may want to wander over to the FNMA website and read the info on the 2055 form because DTU will not order a 2055 for a multi-family property. The 2055/2065's are for single family's.

But as long as your client knows they can't sell the loan to FNMA on a 2055-maybe it's a home equity loan???, and you tell them about it, then have at it, but only if you can produce a credible report/value using the 2055 that conforms to USPAP.

Ben

A

Anonymous

I have had lenders request a duplex appraisal be done on a 1004 and considered the unit as a whole combining GLA, beds, baths etc. I asked these lenders if they would prefer the duplex form and they addamently asked for the 1004. The 2055 should be able to be done in the same way.

Mountain Man

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Georgia
I have had lenders request a duplex appraisal be done on a 1004 and considered the unit as a whole combining GLA, beds, baths etc.

What about highest and best use?

Ben Vukicevich SRA

Professional Status
State
New Jersey
Jason,

You are correct.

The 1004 is designed for multi-family use ( it has a box for the number of units)and it would not be misleading to use it for such as you state. FHA still uses the 1004 for 1 to 4 units.

The 2055 is designed for 1 unit. It would be best to inform the client ahead of time that the form is not designed for a multi-family appraisal. But as you say, it could be done on a 2055...

Ben

Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
Florida
Jason,

I hope you did fully explain the REAL situation in the report and that your report was based on a 'Hypothetical Condition' per instructions of the LO. Without, that's a report that will hang over your head for a very long time.

jwand125

Freshman Member
I pretty much came up with what you said Ben, to make it compliant with USPAP. I will check out the site you mentioned. I already sent my concerns to the lender making sure they know what they are ordered, and how its highly unusual. No income approach on an income property

A

Anonymous

If you are not comfortable doing a drive by on an income property refuse to do it. Today I got an order for a drive by on a 2055 form. The property turned out to be a 55 acre farm in a conservation area. I told the mortgage company that the format was inappropriate. The mortgage co. called me back and said that I should use comparables from thirty miles away. I told those idiots that my fee would be $1,000 and that I could do the report during the second week in December. The mortgage co. called me back and said that they would get another appraiser, I have no doubt that some fool will give them what they want.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks