• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Drones?

Scott.A

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Iowa
Has anyone here used a drone for inspections?

I'm getting tired of not seeing what's on top of the building, or what's over the hedge, or what's behind the fence, etc.

And yes... I'm very familiar with all the regulatory requirements. I passed the FAA exam last week.

JAW

Freshman Member
Professional Status
IT Professional-Appraisal Related
State
Kansas
This guy is THE drone guru of inspections: Lamar Ellis. He does a lot of training with the various appraisal associations.
https://www.realquantum.com/purchasing-a-drone/

CANative

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
California
I love MLS drone shots for the comps.

Terrel L. Shields

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Arkansas
I passed the FAA exam last week.
And FHA, too? :)
A small drone is not regulated as I recall...kinda like CB radios in the 70s...overwhelmed by the demand. I use a pair of binoculars to look at roofing, but in cramped areas or flat roofing, a drone would be OK. The insurance inspector that came by my place used a 10' selfie stick with blue tooth... cool. Make sure you have a good handle on running the drone and can control it or you may be trying to retrieve it out of a tree, or if you encroach the neighbor he might shoot it down.

wward35634

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Real Estate Agent or Broker
State
California

I'm getting tired of not seeing what's on top of the building, or what's over the hedge, or what's behind the fence, etc.

And yes... I'm very familiar with all the regulatory requirements. I passed the FAA exam last week.
I have not used them for inspections, but I was FAA licensed 107 operator. If I were commercial, I would use for land or large warehouse. Not worth it for residential inspections. I used during the slow seasons for Real Estate photography work. Don't get larger than a Phantom 4... anything larger is overkill and extremely dangerous. Also... insure your drone! Good luck.

Scott.A

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
State
Iowa
And FHA, too? :)
A small drone is not regulated as I recall...kinda like CB radios in the 70s...overwhelmed by the demand. I use a pair of binoculars to look at roofing, but in cramped areas or flat roofing, a drone would be OK. The insurance inspector that came by my place used a 10' selfie stick with blue tooth... cool. Make sure you have a good handle on running the drone and can control it or you may be trying to retrieve it out of a tree, or if you encroach the neighbor he might shoot it down.
The regs changed about 3 years ago. They are now fairly heavily regulated. Fortunately about a year ago, they dramatically improved tools for communicating with air traffic control which IMO make the regs pretty reasonable.

Scott.A

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
State
Iowa
I have not used them for inspections, but I was FAA licensed 107 operator. If I were commercial, I would use for land or large warehouse. Not worth it for residential inspections. I used during the slow seasons for Real Estate photography work. Don't get larger than a Phantom 4... anything larger is overkill and extremely dangerous. Also... insure your drone! Good luck.
I have a friend who has a lightly used Phantom 3 available. From the research I've done, that appears to be a good unit to start with. Land and warehouses/industrials are exactly what I've had in mind.

Bill S

Professional Status
State
Illinois
I'll be purchasing a drone in the near future and will likely be going with a used Mavic Pro. I justify this purchase as being an essential tool for commercial appraisals. However, I know deep down that I will probably only use this for recreational purposes.

Terrel L. Shields

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Arkansas
They are now fairly heavily regulated.
I think they require you to register the craft but do they require you personally to take a class or license? Commercially, I believe there are more issues. I talked to a couple of guys who were flying a drone over the high power line using high resolution camera looking for breaks in the lines. They had some sort of commercial license to do this.

Bert Craytor

Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
California

Drones aren't allowed in a lot of areas, even if you have a license.

Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks