• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Forum Sponsor - a la mode

Learn more about Titan Reports, our new cloud-based formfiller, SmartExchange, Titan Office, and Titan Drive to see how you can revolutionize your appraisal business.

DSL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cliff Salisbury

Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
Ohio
After months of trying I have finally beenable to get DSL. I am running it through a modem and into a router hoping to add a second computer to the router in the future. It is my understanding that the router has it own firewall and therefore I do not need a seperate one. After being on the internet I received a pop up add, for some security system, that includeded my IP address. Does this mean that the firewall is not working?

Mountain Man

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Georgia
Got some reading for you. And YES, I HIGHLY recommend EVERYONE, even on dial up, have a firewall.

www.appraisersforum.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3544

www.appraisersforum.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2973

Cliff Salisbury

Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
Ohio
Thank you. I went to the web site for Shields Up and took the test. It said that they could not probe any of the ports and that everything was in Stealth mode.

Mountain Man

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Georgia
Sounds like you should be safe from hacking. Just check your computer with that test every now and then. I have the same set up as you, never had a problem. I have been using the freebie of Zone Alarm with no problems. But If you have a hard time with spam, look into MaAfee or Nortons' firewall. Here is what Wayne posted in the past:
I prefer McAfee over Zonealarm because it doesn't seem to have as many conflicts with other programs and also I think McAFee catches more things, especially those outgoing notices that people include in their email that sends a notice back to them that you have viewed the email on your screen (I am not talking about a return receipt where you must click to agree to send it. There are some emails that send a notice automatically when you even highlight the subject just for a second on your machine. This lets spammers know your email is valid.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks