• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Forum Sponsor - a la mode

QuickSource provides a single-source solution to easily import, compare, and manage data from multiple, credible sources in every report. See what the next game-changer is really all about.

Dual Screen Laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Couch Potato

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
North Carolina
We all know two screens make for faster report writing. How would you like a laptop with two screens?
627-reg-2091724-1353089.mi_embedded.prod_affiliate.3.jpg

It seems Lenovo thinks there is a significant market for such a machine, and is showing it off in Las Vegas this week at the 2009 CES.

Mister Ed

Professional Status
State
Georgia
Since I am doing two desktop screens, yes, two laptop screens would be nice... especially if it is part of their convertible table pc.

rbrienza

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Colorado
Having 2 screens on a laptop would be nice... will have to look at it, when I get a laptop later this year. On my desktop I run 3 screens and thinking of a fourth.. it has helped very much....

the downside is that when you have to use one screen, like at parents house, you start looking for your programs on the screens you have at home. You will become depentant on the extra screens... I think it is worth it

Riick

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Delaware
Having 2 screens on a laptop would be nice... will have to look at it, when I get a laptop later this year. On my desktop I run 3 screens and thinking of a fourth.......
How are you doing this? Most machines have but one pci-e slot.
Using USB video converters?

Mr Rex

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
North Carolina
A video card with multi monitor capabilities. You can get one that runs 2 monitors fairly cheaply, the 3+ are more expensive.

Scott Kibler

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Illinois
I use a laptop and run a separate 22' monitor off the video card. A much larger dual screen setup than that showed in the photo and one less easily damaged part on the laptop.

I predict this gimicky feature will go nowhere.

Randall Garrett

Professional Status
IT Professional-Appraisal Related
State
Texas
Scott:

That particular laptop (and it's "bigger brother") is primarily designed for those who need a "workstation class" machine. It is very popular with the engineering crowd. It is not going anywhere, except being on back-order due to it's popularity with those who need something like this. It is really not designed for appraiser-types... ;-)

I'm with you, though, on running an external monitor (or more) being a far better solution for appraiser-type activities... Bigger multiple screens are a real way to increase your productivity and it is relatively easy/inexpensive to do. The availability of a proper "docking station" plays a big part when we are selecting laptops. I always get two - one for the office and one for home, but if one works out of their home, just one is the way to go. Even most cheap laptops will easily push 1 24" monitor @ 1920 x 1200 and it is pretty easy to push another monitor with a box if using the laptop screen is not good enough... :)

-Randall Garrett-
..Apex Software..

/end/

Metamorphic

Professional Status
State
California
I've often wondered why nobody markets a accessory monitor for laptops. Basically it would just be a screen from another notebook that would draw power from a usb port and signal from the vga port. With a little A-frame eisel stand arrangement it woudl be easily packable right along side the notebook. I'd kill for one of those when its one of those "I've got to get out of the house so I can get something done so here I sit at starbucks using their free wifi with all the goth kids on their mac's" day.

Randall Garrett

Professional Status
IT Professional-Appraisal Related
State
Texas
The power and bandwidth capabilities of even HS USB 2 are not sufficient to drive a display that would be what you are looking for. Don't expect this to change for USB 3, either. The display in your laptop isn't powered by USB, either... There are a few "USB powered" LCD monitors available now - mostly 19", but just the video is pushed via USB, not the power - they require a regular power source, and the "refresh rate" is pretty laggy... There are better technologies available today for pushing the video than USB (or even the old, inefficient DVI, not to mention the ancient analog "VGA") - like HDMI, which is a crappy "consumer/entertainment" spec or DisplayPort which is the best for computer-grade stuff. Unfortunately, we don't see many mobile solutions which offer either HDMI or DisplayPort solutions on-board. They are still relatively rare in desktop units, much less a mobile video subsystem. I expect we'll start to see HDMI capabilities in a few notebooks later in 2009 and growing in popularity in 2010 due to the influence of entertainment type factors. We already see this influence in the fact that it is almost impossible to find a notebook or even desktop screen that is not a "wide-screen" despite the fact that for most people, it simply causes more scrolling for everyday use... :-( This is the price we pay for "entertainment" pushing development over business needs, but at least it helps drive down the cost of equipment albeit arguably at the cost of real world efficiency (throughput.)

Just my 2¢. Hope this helps.

-Randall Garrett-
..Apex Software..

/end/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks