• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

E&O May Not Cover Hybrid Appraisal Products

Status
Not open for further replies.

hastalavista

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
California
I read on another forum where an appraiser said that his E&O insurance company doesn't cover desktop appraisals.

I read my policy (again) and didn't see that kind of specific language. So, I called my insurance administrator (Landy). Here is the response I received (and it is specific to their insurance carrier, which is Great American Insurance Group):

• Hybrid appraisals (where someone else inspects the property and an appraiser then relies on that inspection as part of the valuation analysis) are not covered
  • A desktop appraisal (no reliance on anyone else) is covered
  • A review appraisal from the desk is covered

As an appraiser, I don't have an issue with the hybrid appraisal (relying on another's inspection and then completing the valuation based on that information). But, the insurance company does and stated such an appraisal would not be covered. Regardless if I have an issue with the hybrid or not, as an appraiser, I would not take on such an assignment knowing that if something goes awry, I'm on my own (now, if I didn't have E&O, it wouldn't make any difference).

The underwriter with whom I spoke with told me things could change in the future. But as of now, hybrid appraisals (as I described above) are not covered by my E&O insurance.

Best advice is for anyone who is interested in this type of work to call their own carrier first and then make their decision.

EDIT TO ADD: I just received a phone call from the insurance broker (the president of the company) who apologized and told me I was given bad information. These assignments are covered under the Great American Insurance Group; please see post #89 for the update.

Last edited:

TRESinc

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Ohio
Since the risk should be proportional to the SOW, or lack thereof, wouldn't it be reasonable to charge more for hybrid and desktop appraisals?

reasonable, definable. practical? not so much since they already want to pay so little.

hastalavista

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
California
So, only the really stupid appraisers would sign up for hybrid and desktop appraisals. Of course, the quality of work would reflect that business decision. :rof:
I know a few not-so-stupid appraisers who don't carry E&O, so that may not impact them (however, I doubt any of those appraisers would take such an assignment for the pay, anyway).

ucbruin

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Massachusetts
Who do you believe would sue the appraiser?

The AMC/ client who assigned the desktop to the appraiser?

ucbruin

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Massachusetts
I read on another forum where an appraiser said that his E&O insurance company doesn't cover desktop appraisals.

I read my policy (again) and didn't see that kind of specific language. So, I called my insurance administrator (Landy). Here is the response I received (and it is specific to their insurance carrier, which is Great American Insurance Group):

• Hybrid appraisals (where someone else inspects the property and an appraiser then relies on that inspection as part of the valuation analysis) are not covered
  • A desktop appraisal (no reliance on anyone else) is covered
  • A review appraisal from the desk is covered

As an appraiser, I don't have an issue with the hybrid appraisal (relying on another's inspection and then completing the valuation based on that information). But, the insurance company does and stated such an appraisal would not be covered. Regardless if I have an issue with the hybrid or not, as an appraiser, I would not take on such an assignment knowing that if something goes awry, I'm on my own (now, if I didn't have E&O, it wouldn't make any difference).

The underwriter with whom I spoke with told me things could change in the future. But as of now, hybrid appraisals (as I described above) are not covered by my E&O insurance.

Best advice is for anyone who is interested in this type of work to call their own carrier first and then make their decision.

"The underwriter with whom I spoke with told me things could change in the future. But as of now, hybrid appraisals (as I described above) are not covered by my E&O insurance."

Did you ask the follow up questions....
Why could things change...
What would have to happen for things to change...
When would things change...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks