• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Earthquake!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Terrel L. Shields

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Arkansas
I saw an appraisal (in fact have seen several) where the author avers that there is no prospect for earthquake damage here in the mid-west. Today that was proven wrong when a quake centered in the middle of east ½ of the country shook bricks loose on houses.

Be very careful about making broad statements, environmentally speaking. I have heard people from NW Arkansas say that the New Madrid quake area of E. Arkansas would not affect NW Arkansas but that is not true. The quake map I am familiar with shows the entire state susceptible to some damage. In 1811, the New Madrid swarm of quakes was felt as far as Boston and Charleston, SC. It was almost certainly felt to the NW, too, into Missouri, Kansas, Oklahoma, and Arkansas.

Also, be aware that paleosoil scientists have found thin layers of volcanic dust from ancient volcanoes well into the Midwest...that is, there have been some big ones on the West Coast - much bigger than Mt. St. Helens.

That does not mean I would rush out and buy earthquake insurance, but I would be aware that some damage is possible. Betcha see a whole bunch of Tennessee and surrounding area insurers make a bundle in earthquake premiums this week.
FYI

Mike Garrett RAA

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Colorado
Didn't Mississippi just have one this week....4.5 on the scale.

Ken in Arkansas

Professional Status
State
Arkansas
Another one (albeit minor) hit this morning in extreme Northeast Arkansas.

Willie

Professional Status
State
Tennessee
4/29/03 was awaken by one in Fort Payne AL. Felt all the way to Indiana. It was 4:00 am and my wife said what was that. The dogs were barking. Half asleep, I told here maybe it was the house settling. LOL

Jeff Horton

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Alabama
Originally posted by William Robinson@Apr 30 2003, 06:46 AM
It was 4:00 am and my wife said what was that.
4:05 by my clock. I never wake up in thunderstorms unless the lightning hits a tree very close by. But something about pictures on the wall above the bed trembling and rattling will wake even me up! I am about 40 miles (I guess?) from Ft. Payne as the crow flies and it woke me up. Couldn't feel it but man you could hear stuff in the house rattling.

We also had one about year ago. It happened as I was driving my wifes truck down the driveway. She was at the sink looking out the window watching me drive down the drive and house started shaking. She said her first thought was the heck has he done to my truck!! :D

Restrain

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Florida
Some of those fault lines run all the way down into East Texas - one Arkansas quake rumbled down a couple of hundred miles into Texas. BTW, Yellowstone Park is one giant volcanic cauldron. They say it's going to erupt ----sometime. :D

Patti Jury

Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Colorado
I check the Earthquake activity each day.. Kind of a hobby for me.. Great website at (I think) USGA.. or just search under earthquake information..

I would estimate.. just based on the past few months.. and the increased activity up and down the west coast.. ie..the Large Mexico Earthquake last year.. the 7.9 in Alaska (largest last year of all the quakes) and the numerous nonstop smaller quakes off the coast of Oregon lately.. that those living on the West Coast might want to consider emergency plans.. There was also a major fault found in LA that was previously undiscovered.. A new prediction for San Fransisco has also been issued within the past few days for a potential major upcoming quake.

It is also interesting to see the quakes in the Middle East during times at which there were reported to be large, unexplained.. underground explosions.. Especially in Afganistan... :eyecrazy:

George Hatch

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
California
Awww you guys...

4.69 quake and you guys are rattled? Heck, we don't even notice them until they hit 6.0. We get little rattlers under 5.0 almost every month, it seems. I don't even wake up any more. Between seismic activity and the wildfires we get every time a Santa Ana blows through, it's no wonder we refer to the place as "shake-n-bake".

Now, if we see a little snow on the ground, that's cause for alarm!!!

George Hatch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks