• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Education Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

ernstej

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Banking/Mortgage Industry
State
Ohio
I've been looking for schools to take my qualifying education to become an appraiser trainee. Most, if not all, seem to only offer online courses. My first question is are there any good quality schools that offer in class training that anyone knows of (ideally somewhere in SW Ohio)? And secondly, are online courses looked at negatively when prospecting for a mentor and/or job?

From what I've read AI seems to be the place to go but they seem to only offer online packages.

Thanks for any help!

Michigan CG

Staff member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Michigan
AI has many live courses but you might have to travel for them. AI education is considered the best especially if you want to do commercial work.

Walter Kirk

Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
New Jersey
Both of the answers above are good advice. Your local community college or one in a neighboring area may be your most economical way to get basic appraisal education. The Appraisal Institute also has plenty of classes available however you may have to travel to attend them.

bnmappraisal

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Florida
All good advice above. I would also see if there are local Real Estate schools that offer appraisal classes. I have about 3 or 4 in my area that offer appraisal courses, but I'm in FL. You mention SW Ohio, so I'm assuming your in the Cincinnati area, which has a decent population. I would think there may be some RE school options as well. Just another thought/option to look into.
Either way, good luck. Welcome to the forum

George Hatch

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
California
I'm going to buck the trend here and tell you that many students might not get much more out of a live class than one of the online classes. It's true that some instructors are better than others, but unfortunately there are also some instructors who are worse than nothing. Meaning, worse than taking the course online.

The primary advantage of an online course is that the content and delivery will be consistent every time it's rendered. As long as you can conform to their singular mode of delivery you'll get ample access to the material.

The qualifying education courses are aimed at conveying the basics, starting from zero. Completing them is just the first step in accumulating the knowledge it takes to become the competent professional. The successful trainee will be working on their basic understanding of the appraisal process for the first several years, extending past the point after which they obtain their permanent licensing.

We answer technical questions from our peers on this forum all the time, and in MANY instances that answer goes straight back to reminding people of one or more of the fundamentals that they were previously exposed to in their initial qualifying education but which they failed to actually understand on the conceptual level. In that respect and regardless of your initial exposure it will still be incumbent on you to go back to review those basics on a regular basis in order to come to the more comprehensive understanding of its various applications. Meaning, there's no substitute in this business for being self-motivated to follow through on the process all the way through, regardless of how much time/effort that takes.

After 30 years in this business (including 15 years developing and teaching QE and CE courses) I can fairly say that the primary difference between my competency and your competency in this business is not "everything" I say I know, but my aggregate experience in working the appraisal process to work my way through the various situations that I DON'T know. It's working your way through the appraisal process and the application of the basic concepts and principles that result in the competent appraisal practice; not the innate knowledge the appraiser already had at the outset of the assignment.

George Hatch

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
California
added to say:

As a new recruit with (presumably) no job prospects at this time, it may be more expedient for you to take the online courses at your earliest convenience to see if you even take to the material. Not everyone has the aptitude and/or the interest to do what we do. Way more people take the courses than ever get jobs in the business.

If you do land a job you will be accumulating your own experiences, which will provide context and illustration of those basis. Once you rack up a couple hundred hours of experience, a remedial review of those basic instructional materials will help you to understand those fundamentals much more clearly - THAT will be the real starting point of your professional development. From there you can get more picky about the additional instruction you undertake.

But it's all moot unless/until you land your first job.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks