• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Education Opportunities

Are you satisfied with your educational opportunities?

• Yes, but I think they could be better.

Votes: 8 57.1%
  • No, I think they are getting worse.

Votes: 5 35.7%
  • Maybe

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • Somebody wrong is in charge with special interests.

Votes: 4 28.6%
  • I don’t like education. I know it all already.

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • I think the government should sponsor appraisal education.

Votes: 3 21.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Eli

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Tennessee
Open your mind. Multiple choices are allowed. Pick all that you think apply.

Mr Rex

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
North Carolina
Education is largely an oligarchy and/or oligopoly that seeks to centrally control the mass minds of the simple minded solely to profit the providers while keeping the masses dumb and placated.

A K

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Maryland
I think the best appraisal education is self education. Many people gain learning and studying skills in college.

Tom Woolford

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Florida
I would like a greater variety in distance learning. Its just not practical for me to travel for live classes, and they generally are much more expensive. That said, except for USPAP courses with the plethora of "What if" questions, I prefer live courses. Most instructors though leave a lot to be desired.

A K

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Maryland
The only appraisal education I thought was great was the Advanced Report Writing and Case Studies 1 & 2.

I think if appraisal education was locally developed with local case studies it would be a lot better than these national courses. But then the people that make the courses probably don't make any money by developing a local course.

Last edited:

Meandering

Elite Member
Professional Status
Real Estate Agent or Broker
State
Pennsylvania
We have a local school that develops and teaches local classes all over the state.
Terrel even comes and teaches there some times.
A local school, with local classes is a great thing. Sometimes they reference specific locations and areas of concern in those locations, such as zoning or ordinance changes that are pending, and how that impacts what appraisers should be thinking about and considering. Local schools, with local classes build your Geo-competency.

:D

Terrel L. Shields

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Arkansas
Terrel even comes and teaches there some times.
I have had some folks try to get me to do an on line course with a vendor but it looks like a lot of work. Oakcrest in OK was teaching a couple of my classes but they have ceased teaching I think.

Eli

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Tennessee
It is amazing how many sources are available for college education for those with limited resources. I think that’s good.

Can we shift that focus a little toward appraisal education?

Don Clark

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Virginia
The only appraisal education I thought was great was the Advanced Report Writing and Case Studies 1 & 2.

I think if appraisal education was locally developed with local case studies it would be a lot better than these national courses. But then the people that make the courses probably don't make any money by developing a local course.
Tried that. Very expensive, time consuming with little attendance. Not enough money in it.

George Hatch

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
California
One idea I've been kicking around for many years was building a virtual town and then building a course of study around it. Start with 2 main streets that intersect, add a 1-block deep transition zone on either side of those streets for the office/professional, service commercial and other transition uses including a few older 1-4s, then add a medium density zone with 2-4s and apartments and condos in different blocks and distances. Add in a small civic center and some outlying fire stations and schools. Business park and industrial in one corner of the town and a river cutting through half of the town in order to provide some natural barrirers.

Then populate the rest of the town with neighborhoods of SFRs of varying types including a couple neighborhoods going through redevelopment. That would more/less be the composition of AppraiserTown. Then you go back and give every property a 2-records deep sales history that includes a recent sale and more dated sale, except perhaps limited to only a couple time frames in order to facilitate their analyses.

This virtual town would have its own map, it's own zoning code and other map overlays, it's own searchable public records database and its own MLS database, the latter being searchable.

At that point you'd have a somewhat more realistic backdrop to base your course of study on, that being the point. You're building your course of study around the environment instead of contriving abstract (and unrealistic) examples on the fly to illustrate a discussion.

With a stable virtual world to work with you could basically replicate a day-to-day appraisal practice, with engagements coming in, clients trying to get what they want from you, reviewers asking you questions - some being smarter than others - the whole experience. It could be a useful backdrop for a QE course but could also be extended into the more advanced or specialized CE programs. In the initial rollout maybe only 2/3 of the properties would be actively used in the instruction as subjects and comps, with the other 1/3 being open to later modification to define new areas of study as they pop up. The different client interactions could be used to illustrate USPAP issues so that we could incorporate that instruction across all areas of that virtual practice instead of treating ethics and conduct issues as an abstract option that gets tacked onto the course of instruction as if its an accessory to appraisal practice instead of integral to it.

If the education business wasn't so cutthroat they could share the platform on an open source basis and contribute to it's expansion and refinement to cover an ever-widening field of study.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks