• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Electric Toilets

Status
Not open for further replies.

pgerarde

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Arizona
Several months ago I did an appraisal for a home to be built on a town lot with a seasonal creek backing the rear of the site.

They have now discovered that due to the setbacks for septic systems and the size of the site that the home will not be able to have any black water (Toilet) sources.

They want me to comment on the market affect of putting "electric incinerating toilets" only in the home. The builder faxed me the paperwork on the model. It look like a rectangular metal trash can with a toilet lid on top and no water is involved in the process at all.

I have searched my market and have not found even one home that mentions this lovely feature.

I am wondering if any of you have run across this in your market and if so, what was its impact on your market value?

God Bless,
Patti in Chino Valley, AZ

Jason S

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
California
Never seen them in a home but boats use them a lot. They are very efficient. And only produce a small amount of ash compared to the amount of waste put in.

Probably a great way to go if sewer & septic are not available. Not sure on the electrical requirements though.

Ken B

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Florida
I'd be more concerned about the building permit.

Don Clark

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Virginia
Do they have electric toilet paper:rof:

lizhorvath

Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Michigan
I'd be more concerned with the smell of burning $hit...

pgerarde

Professional Status
State
Arizona
I will check with the building department. I noticed this toilet requires a special liner for each use, heats up to 1200 degrees over a 30-50 minute cycle and has a cord that plugs into a electrical wall outlet.

I think the fact that it plugs in and is not hard wired could be a problem. But as a woman I can tell you I would never buy a home with a toilet like this. Even my husband stated that it required too much "messing" with the toilet for him. A liner for each used and how long must you wait to use the john again...!!!

Thanks and God Bless,
Patti in Chino Valley, AZ

Richard Carlsen

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Michigan
Have they never heard of a bermed septic system?

We have many near rivers and lakes or where there is a high water table. Expensive to put in but lets you live on the water which tends to overcome the bump in the lawn.

Ross (CO)

Professional Status
State
Colorado
Sounds like you did a report "a few months ago" for proposed construction and now some people have residual questions because....septic is not permitted ? Who is the "they" who have asked you to offer the "market effect" of a water-less human waste disposal feature for the home ?

I guess you could contact some realtor offices and inquire about properties that their agents may have sold, or listed, with these waste incinerator systems. It appears that the simplest remark you could offer the requester here would be to say ..."I doubt that any prospective and willing member of the buying public is going to be too excited about having such a system in THEIR home" !.....and leave it right there. Advanced research should have caught this faux pas long ago. Shall we assume that construction plans have NOT even started due to this discovery ?

When I did exploration work on Alaska's North Slope our mobile crew employed the same technology. Those units were made by Incinolet, out of Dallas as I recall. It was like crapping onto a giant cigarette lighter coil. Persons were first to make their yellow snow outdoors before going inside that other trailer. There was a circulating and vented air blower system built in so that when the eagle had landed.....the aroma of the cooking process went outside and contributed to the Global Warming of the pristine arctic environment in which we were operating. When the process was completed all that remained were some ashes that fell through to a collection pan at the lowest level.

Been there.....done that...in the winters of '79 and '80. Life in the wild, everyone should have that experience.

pgerarde

Professional Status
State
Arizona
Ross, this unit is also made by Incinolet. I noticed the manal states, in large letters,

"ACCUMULATED WASTE, PARTICULARLY SOLIDS, RESULTS IN ODER AND CAN REDUCE LIFE

Wonderful, while this unit has a vent I would hope it would not be near a patio or drive the neighbors to start complaining.

I do think your remark would have to be made since I have not been able to locate any home that sold with this feature. And everyone I have showed the pictures and procedure to has let me know that no way would they have this toilet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks