• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Electrical generating plant

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roger R. Patzold

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Virginia
Working on a residential property in the rural area of Madison county between Houston and Dallas.

Homeowner says someone is putting in a gas fired electrical generating plant nearby on an unknown site. Might be within five miles of subject. Might provide electricity to Houston, Dallas, or anywhere in between.

None of the Madisonville Realtors I spoke to two weeks ago on another appraisal project mentioned anything about such a plant. They all indicated a stable market as Houston MLS indicated with a desire for good listings to sell to potential they all have. Acreage is preferred.

I wonder if there is an agency or web site I can go to that would have any information on such a project.

Will check with all realtors, local paper, chamber of comerce, Madisonville and Madison County web sites, etc. Just looking for potential sources.

Home owner states the plant should be online in three years. No obvious sign of large land sale in area home owner thinks plant will be constructed. Still have to look in MLS for large acreage land sale. Home owner says there was recent gas find in the area that will be used to fire the generators. Why spend money on a pipeline??

Haven't had to do such a search before.

Appreciate any suggestions or first hand knowledge available.<><

Ray Miller

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Wisconsin
Stop and Think !!!

Gas fired electrical generating plant needs transmission lines. I would think if this is a fact every one would know about it. Nope home owner pulling your chain.

Kevin A. Spellman

Professional Status
State
Massachusetts
Is there a gas line large enough to deliver the gas and is the grid nearby for power to be delivered into the grid? Speak to the gas company.

Restrain

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Florida
May be part of the TXU deal, where they abandoned coal plants. There's a lot of if's and but's involved. There's public hearings, impact statements, all sorts of stuff, all of which the agents and other county people would know about. If they don't, I put it in the category of "Walt Disney buying up land between Dallas and Houston for a new theme park". Ain't happening either.

Stick with what you know for sure. It's a home in a rural area near Madisonville with whatever the visible, known factors are at the time of the appraisal.

Roger R. Patzold

Professional Status
State
Virginia
New information but it is scant

Navasota Energy is behind the planned gas fired generator. Currently there is a big controversy in Madisonville concerning the water the plant will take from the acquifier.

Madisonville Metero has an article from 12/26/2007 about a meeting of the local Groundwater Conservation District that appears to have gotten a bit testy.

Not mentioned in the paper but the "Rule of Capture" appears to be losing ground east of the Brazos. Texas passed some time back a local county option to require meters on wells that can produce 25,000 gallons per day. My well man says a 4 inch well with a 2 HP pump can produce that 25,000 gallons per day.

Another 10 years might see meters on all private wells in Texas. That will be a battle.

Thanks for the help.<><

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks