• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Forum Sponsor - a la mode

QuickSource provides a single-source solution to easily import, compare, and manage data from multiple, credible sources in every report. See what the next game-changer is really all about.

Email Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

larryhaskell

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Nevada
I had some work done on my computer system recently and discovered that when I have Outlook Express open, any incoming emails end up going to my email account @ Alamode. According to my computer tech, Alamode utilizes a portion of Outlook Express for their email system. I have often wondered why I never received expected emails and senders have sworn to me that did respond to me.

My tech talked to Alamode today to see if there is a way to change the system so any incoming emails arriving when Outlook Express is open would still come through. With this present setup, I have to check for emails on Outlook Express and also through Alamode.

I hate to say it but I did not like Alamode's response. Alamode's position is that THEY have determined that we are better off having our emails relating to appraisal work separated from all of our other emails. I would call this unmitigated arrogance. There is a way to change their system but they won't do it because they know what is best for us. As a result, I'm forced to check for emails in two places.

Does anyone know a way around this problem?

Tim Hicks (Texas)

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Texas
Larry, if you go to the EDI center and click "options" you will see EDI center settings. On the second line (e-mail address), put whatever e-mail address you want your replies to go to. I e-mail through Alamode, but my clients think it comes from [email protected] and they reply and respond to that e-mail address. I hope this helps.

That line used to have by wintotal e-mail address, now it has my regular e-mail address I have had since 1994.

Tim Hicks (Texas)

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Texas
Oh, test it by sending yourself a pdf and see what reply address shows up.

dbiggers

Professional Status
IT Professional-Appraisal Related
State
Florida
Larry, I've got to be really frank here -- your tech has absolutely no clue what he's (or she's) talking about. The almost-funny part is that we're the only appraisal system that DOESN'T use Outlook or Outlook Express (or MAPI, the e-mail API behind it in Windows).

Our EDI is totally self-contained, so your lender and other e-mails that you've apparently lost are not getting re-routed through Outlook to your a la mode account. I can't believe your tech actually looked at our EDI Center and was naive enough to think we were using Outlook. Just because we wrote a full-featured mail program into WinTOTAL doesn't mean we used Outlook. He could have verified that in seconds by opening the Task Manager dialog and seeing that none of the Microsoft e-mail components are loaded when we send mail.

And there's no "unmitigated arrogance" involved either. Instead, we're trying to prevent the very problems you accuse us of creating -- having your appraisal software accidentally dealing with non-appraisal e-mails or vice versa is a major problem. Software that uses Outlook can't reliably check and automate true EDI mail without running the risk of deleting or otherwise messing up your non-business mail. That creates extra steps and confusion for you. All our tech was trying to explain is that you SHOULD keep them separate and that you should be glad that we DON'T use Outlook at all as a default.

But, we don't care if you want to do it the hard way and ignore our free account completely. You can easily set up WinTOTAL to check your regular mail account on any server. It doesn't have to be ours. And you can of course use your Outlook manually outside of WinTOTAL (though I don't know why you'd want to do so).

I understand that people can and will disagree about the merits of features, but nothing hits my hot button faster than supposed techies who have clue what they're doing spouting off to appraisers about stuff that simply doesn't even exist.

Dave Biggers
CEO
a la mode, inc.

Mike Garrett RAA

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Colorado
Welcome back, Dave, how was the vacation???? As you can probably see...this forum has been pretty quiet while you were gone.

larryhaskell

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Nevada
Dave:

I think you missed my point. I became concerned because I learned that when I had Outlook Express open, any incoming emails would go to my Alamode account without my knowledge. When I opened my Alamode account I found lots of emails that I didn't know existed. Some were from people that I had told I never received their emails. When my tech was at our office, I called your tech dept. so the settings could be changed so all of my emails would come through Outlook Express. It was your tech that informed us that it was Alamode that had decided that it was best if our private emails were separated from any emails related to appraisal business and there was no way to change the settings. It was at this point that I expressed my concerns on the forum. The next day we got a call from your tech dept and this individual informed us that the first tech I talked to was wrong and he subsequently walked me through the process to change the settings and now it works fine and I don't have to check two places for my emails which is what I was after.

The statement that prompted my posting to the forum was when your first tech said "we (meaning Alamode) have made the decision that your private emails should be separated from appraisal emails". It was this statement that prompted me to use the word arrogance because I believe it is your responsibility to give us as many options as possible in the software and we can decide what works best for us.

Your second tech that helped me with the settings made an important point. He indicated that my original setup was really designed for companies that send complete reports between offices for different reasons and that my present settings would work great for us which it does.

ED DUNN

Freshman Member
For what it's worth folks, I have about the same trouble with Outlook Express and my Bellsouth ISP email. It doesn't pertain to appraising, as I am a newbie, but after reading the posts I just had to ad my two cents worth. Sometimes my Bellsouth email goes right into Outlook express and not Bellsouth. Go figure. ED

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks