• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Forum Sponsor - a la mode

Learn more about Titan Reports, our new cloud-based formfiller, SmartExchange, Titan Office, and Titan Drive to see how you can revolutionize your appraisal business.

Email Programs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rick Neighbors

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Texas
Well, I decided to get my Xcite website hosted by Alamode, and start trying to understand the Certmail stuff. Hard to teach an old dog.....

Was having problems with my previous service provider that was hosting my web site and my email. So I jumped through the hoops, and blundered my way through the process. Guess I did it right, because I got an email saying so.

Now, I am trying to change to Microsoft Outlook for my email program, and I really don't like it. But, as that is what they recommend, I am trying to comply.

My first problem is my Outlook program is what came on my computer. And it is the 2000 version. So should I go buy a new program, download something or what.

Any ideas from you guys. I really liked the Mozilla Thunderbird email program I was using. And, all my address books are still in that program.

Not sure I'm doing the right thing.

Rick

Mike Plumlee

Professional Status
State
Texas
First, I'm not sure you have to change to Outlook. Most companies recommend Outlook because it's a known commodity in business and makes it easier for a support department to diagnose interrelated problems.

Outlook 2000 is just as good and functional as any other version of Outlook. As a matter of fact, Outlook 2000 is the last of the really stable versions that MS built. I wouldn't waste the money, and upgrading to later versions of Outlook is not free.

I used Outlook for 20 years until a year ago and finally gave up on it. I got tired of the inopportune crashes of Outlook 2003 and its bloated files. Outlook finally got to the point of excess maintenance demand. So I switched to Thunderbird and have been extremely pleased. That made me a complete switch to join Firefox and get rid of IE/Outlook altogether.

There is not one reason you should have to switch from Thunderbird to handle your email needs.

Rick Neighbors

Professional Status
State
Texas
Outlook

Well, the main reason I tried to start using Outlook, is because that is the only email program that the Alamode instructions reference.

I am back to Thunderbird....already, and I have a tech support request into Alamode to help me set it up properly.

I used to use Netscape, and liked it, but one of their updates didn't work for me, and a friend introduced me to Thunderbird.

We will see how things go with tech support.

Rick

Rick Neighbors

Professional Status
State
Texas
Tech Support

Well, things went fine! Tech Support was able to get the Thunderbird program working with their servers just fine. I am back in business.

Rick

Mike Plumlee

Professional Status
State
Texas
That's great. Outlook can sometimes be the devil you know.

rbrienza

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Colorado
I use a program called IncrediMail (Incredimail.com). The reason that I use it is because It takes all my email accounts and inports all my email accounts into it. I can also import my adresses into it. I currently have 6 email accounts. it works great! I never did like outlook. I can also set my default to email out fro IE to my increadiMail and I can also send out emails from different emails addresses.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks