• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Engagement Letter/contract

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeff Horton

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Alabama
Just walked out of small claims court, first one that has actually gone to trial. I won the case but I lost my claim on interest because of I did not have a written agreement/contract with my client (an inDUHvidual).

I rarely have a problem with individuals paying. Normally I collect up front but sometimes I have a job I don't or can't collect up front. For example I did a big narrative appraisal and my fee was an hourly rate.

My buddy and I were talking about how we need a very simple engagement letter that takes the word of mouth out of all appraisals performed for individuals. Anyone use one? Would you be willing to share it?

Things I think it should address are payment and terms (of course). Something like the scope that says what will will do and won't, and for what purpose the appraisal is performed.

I am sure there are other areas that should be addressed too. Main thing is keep this very short and sweet so that the client can understand it.

Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
Florida
Do you have Alamode? If so, they have some good ones that you could either use or go by to make your own.

If you don't have it, email me and send you some.

SmilingDog

Professional Status
State
California
Where in Alamode is it?

Pam Wyant

Professional Status
State
West Virginia
I've been thinking an engagement letter for individuals would be a good idea too. It should also have a section of the limitations of an appraisal - i.e. not a home inspection, environmental assessment, survey, etc. etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks