• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Enough Bad News

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elliott

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Oregon
Just the headlines today:

The Dow industrials plunged 306.95 points, or 2.5%

Home construction plunged 14% in December, tumbling to its lowest point since 1991, while a sign of future groundbreakings also dropped sharply.

Merrill Lynch swung to a loss in the fourth quarter, as the investment-banking giant capped a bloody second half by recording a total of $16.7 billion in losses related to subprime mortgages and complex debt instruments.

Bond Insurer Stocks Plunge. Shares of MBIA and Ambac sank on news that major credit agencies were considering downgrades of their AAA ratings on bond insurers.

Washington Mutual swung to a fourth-quarter loss after writing down $1.53 billion in value in its home-loans business. The bank is considered a potential takeover candidate and shares traded up 5.1% at $13.10 after hours.

And a little good news:

Bernanke endorsed "quickly" implemented and "explicitly temporary" stimulus to revive the sagging economy and complement the Fed's efforts.

Must be time to buy stocks cause you really have the feeling why would
anybody want to own them.

Terrel L. Shields

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Arkansas
Bernanke endorsed "quickly" implemented and "explicitly temporary" stimulus to revive the sagging economy and complement the Fed's efforts.
sweeping back a tide that he personally helped create with his remark about "we'll just print more money" or some such when he was a mere mortal board governor. Greenspan is vigorously defending himself with the Sgt. Schultz defense "I know nothing...I saw nothing..."
This was created by Wall street who cannot be left off their leash without trying to kill each other. IF Glass-Seagall was still in effect, this wouldn't have happened.

Dee Dee

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Colorado
It's going to take a lot more "stimulus" (sorry...but for some reason I keep getting the mental image of an enema here...:Eyecrazy: ) than what this country can afford to make any significant turnaround in the direction our economy is heading.

I wish the government would just leave it alone and let the chips fall.

mwbode

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
State
Florida
I like the the pundants on CNBC that are still saying no Recession.

bart nathan

Professional Status
State
California
Dow will be back up again on fri. Just one day of bad news.

mwbode

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
State
Florida
The DOW will bounce because of options expiring tomm and rollover activity. Or if Bernake does an emergency cut right on the open :~)

Greg Bell

Professional Status
Gvmt Agency, FNMA, HUD, VA etc.
State
Louisiana
Milk is up 29% in one year ,that's not inflation , it's criminal.Quick , buy some beans and ammo..P.S If the DOW bounces it will be a suckers rally and a good time to sell in the bounce.This puppy is going to 10,000 easy...

Greg Bell

Professional Status
State
Louisiana
Dow will be back up again on fri. Just one day of bad news.
Not a chance.Recession is already under way.A quick dead cat bounce and then down another 200 Points...

PropertyEconomics

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
New Mexico
Not a chance.Recession is already under way.A quick dead cat bounce and then down another 200 Points...

Greg .. my broker told me about six weeks ago (a very large national firm) that they predict a dow 6000 and they currently show inflation at 14-15% annually. Im out and in cash and have been for quite a while. Just waiting.

Greg Bell

Professional Status
State
Louisiana
Dow 6000 would be a depression (In today's inflated dollars).Did you buy some beans and Ammo???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks