• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Equipment Needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

david perry

Freshman Member
I am looking to see what kind of equipment every one uses to do residential Appraisials in their home?

George Hatch

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
California
Telephone; answering machine; fax machine or fax card; computer with CD-RW drive; Internet with DSL connection; digital camera; HP2000 color printer and HP1200 Laserjet; printer stand, desk and chair. Oh yeah, and a bookcase for my reference materials. That's it.

I never did buy a copier or a scanner. I even skipped the microfiche viewer and printers. My hard copies and workfiles go in cardboard document storage boxes and my electronic file backups (2 separate copies) go on CDs.

Mountain Man

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Georgia
Top O'de' line 'puter ..... with mucho ram, two printer ports, CD burner, Zip Drive, and DSL router/modem. B&W Zerox Laser printer, Cannon ink jet printer for the color pages, and a legal scanner. A sepearate phone line for my office, desk, 2 file cabinets, office supply cabinet, and several bird feeders in the yard within view through the french doors.

I also have my old computer on a net work, that wife uses to surf the net, and I use as a data backup. An older lap top, but in good condition with a new and larger hard drive, that I use when I go out of town.

Oh yeah, forgot about many of the things Mike listed. Getting late, and tired of net surfing.

wyecoyote

Professional Status
Gvmt Agency, FNMA, HUD, VA etc.
State
Washington
Laptop, card reader, laser printer, color printer, fax machine, cable modem, telephone, filing cabinet, nice leather chair (must with my but on it all the time), wireless conection for laptop for going around the house and working from various locations including the outside, book case, a good radio, and a Xbox for games.

TC

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Pennsylvania
Just curious to see if anyone still uses a typewriter? :question: When I started my home office 10 years ago I decided against a typewriter and bought an Avery Smart Label Printer to do addresses and file folder labels. And like George I never bought a copier, did everything off the laser printer, but I do own a scanner for plats and blue prints.

For fun I use my Disto in the office to scare the cat. :D

TC

Mike Garrett RAA

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Colorado
All of the above!

My office:

HP Pentium IV with CD burner and a DVD player. 1 gig memory

HP 2230 color printer
HP LaserJet III (used) for black and white.
Sharp AL1610 copier
Brother 4650 laser fax, copier, scanner (can be used as a back up)
Microtek 17" flat screen monitor. Easier on the eyes, takes up little desk space.
Belkin wireless network
Older Pentium III as back up puter and assistant's work station.
Kodak digital camera (I have three...2 DC210s, and one DC215, several cards 16 meg)
SanDisk reader
HP 2200c scanner
Two line phone with answering feature
Cell phone

A large desk, credenze, file cabinets, and book case round it out. I also have a tv with VCR on a wall mount and a nice pioneer stereo with CD player. Everything expect the legal file cabinets fit into a 12 x 14 room.

Haven't used a typewriter in years....I use my computer with Word, and Word Perfect which also does envelopes and labels.

The Matrix

Professional Status
State
Colorado
I would add call notification to your office voice mail. This feature rings your cell phone when your're in the field and lets you know that there is a message in your voice mail box. Costs is about $ 5.00 per/mo. If someone is going to be late for an appointment, they can call your office phone and let you know they will be late so you won't be standing in front of a house wondering when they will arrive. This product can save alot of time and increases productivity.

Dan Leggett

Professional Status
State
Mississippi
My latest addition is IdentaFone Pro CID software. It monitors my land line's Caller ID and echos the caller's name and number, via text messaging, to my cell phone (or a pager). Also displays the caller's name and number on my computer's monitor while I'm at the desk. Good clients get immediate call backs and I generally wait until I return to the office for the others.

Of course when you call your answering machine from your cell phone to listen to your messages that came in on the land line, the program text messages the cell phone to let you know you're calling your land line from your cell phone!?!?! Oh well, nothing is perfect. www.identafone.com

EDIT!!! 3 hours after posting this IdentaFone tech support discovered my post and instructed my goofy, rednecked self on how to solve the above situation. You can place your cell number in IdentaFone's onboard phonebook and select 'Do Not Page/Email'. I stand corrected, perfection is achievable. Special thanks to Maurice at IdentaPhone tech support!

Bobby Bucks

Elite Member
Professional Status
Real Estate Agent or Broker
State
North Dakota
ditto the caller ID. I have call foward so when in the field it goes to my cell which also has caller ID so unless I like them, no luck getting this boy. I have a copier, but rarely use it. CD burner is a must with speakers and a lot of "ALLMAN" Brothers material. Don't forget a well stocked liquor cabinet.......maybe that's why I have a 19" screen?

edited by Bucks......thanks to the vigilance of TC :yellowblack:

TC

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Pennsylvania
Yo Double B,

Almond? Brothers Do you feel like a nut?

:beer:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks