• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Estate Appraisal 2016 - Brokerage Firm Requesting Copy For Sale Proposal

Status
Not open for further replies.

PS111222333444

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Washington
I completed a retrospective appraisal of a retail building for Estate Settlement purposes in late 2016 (report and date of value). Intended user PR of the Estate. Now national brokerage firm is requesting a PDF for purposes of creating a sale proposal for the heir. Client (who is the heir) has given verbal permission to do so.

Any cautionary words? Should watermarks be added to the document?

Thanks for any input!

PL1957

Professional Status
State
Illinois
I completed a retrospective appraisal of a retail building for Estate Settlement purposes in late 2016 (report and date of value). Intended user PR of the Estate. Now national brokerage firm is requesting a PDF for purposes of creating a sale proposal for the heir. Client (who is the heir) has given verbal permission to do so.

Any cautionary words? Should watermarks be added to the document?

Thanks for any input!
Don't do it. Have the heir send them a copy, even if you have to provide it to the heir. You don't want to be in a position where it can be argued that the brokerage firm has your permission to use the report. The heir can do whatever he wants with the report.

Michael S

Professional Status
State
New Mexico
I complete an appraisal for a lender on a small mixed-use property a couple of years ago. The property manager who was also a broker listed the property for sale about six months later. Virtually all of the content of his listing flyer was pulled straight from my report including a pretty detailed floorplan I had created (70-year old building with no plans or size information of any kind), a neighborhood aerial with labeled rings, demographics, several pictures, etc. Obviously the owner got a copy from the bank and passed it along to his broker. I didn't bother making a fuss over it and as far as I can tell it never sold. Imitation is the greatest form of flattery.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks