• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Estimating Effective Age Poll

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joyce Potts

Elite Member
Supporting Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Florida
Our subject (see current photo below) was constructed in 1933 with an actual age of 75. What is your estimated, approximate 'effective age' based on your lifetime experience and observations? Your participation in the poll is appreciated and please spare me that the poll is flawed. It simply requires your honest, subjective answer.

1. 100 years
2. 95 years
3. 85 years
4. 75 years
5. 65 years
6. 55 years
7. 45 years
8. 35 years
9. 25 years

Attachments

• Effective Age 9.JPG
    Effective Age 9.JPG
    27.1 KB · Views: 75

Lawrence R.

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
South Carolina
Our subject (see current photo below) was constructed in 1933 with an actual age of 75. What is your estimated, approximate 'effective age' based on your lifetime experience and observations? Your participation in the poll is appreciated and please spare me that the poll is flawed. It simply requires your honest, subjective answer.

1. 100 years
2. 95 years
3. 85 years
4. 75 years
5. 65 years
6. 55 years
7. 45 years
8. 35 years
9. 25 years

Flawed Poll!! I don't do effective age. As evidenced by this photo, looks can be deceiving. How bout her heart and lungs? Do they look 35 years old, or do they look like the 1933 model? And what about her frame? Osteoporosis? Can't tell til you peel back all the vinyl.

Just kidding. She looks like a woman in her 40's. God bless her. #7 for me.

Joyce Potts

Elite Member
Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Florida
Flawed Poll!! I don't do effective age. As evidenced by this photo, looks can be deceiving. How bout her heart and lungs? Do they look 35 years old, or do they look like the 1933 model? And what about her frame? Osteoporosis? Can't tell til you peel back all the vinyl.

Just kidding. She looks like a woman in her 40's. God bless her. #7 for me.

Can't you similar have a newly constructed improvement with flawed construction?

Mike Kennedy

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
New York
Rendering an opinion of Effective Age sans measurement, full length anterior and posterior visual inspection supported by many many photos and and at least cursory, visual, interior inspection is misleading. While some cosmetic exterior updating, which appears amateurish, illusionary, and insufficient to meet Current Construction Code, is evident - simply viewing a photograph from out of state is insufficent to render a well-supported (although she apparently is) opinion. It is entirely possible the subject represents a legal, no-longer-conforming, pre-historic use. Additional on-line research indicates the second floor possibly represents Functional Obsolescence-Superadequacy. Unable to confirm without "hands-on" manual and "birds eye view" (preferably on a beach in St. Tropez) extended, visual site inspection.

I don't do "honk honk" bys........ sorry. :laugh:

Last edited:

3 Putt

Professional Status
State
Ohio
I would have to personally inspect the property in order to offer my opinion. :)

Lawrence R.

Professional Status
State
South Carolina
I would have to personally inspect the property in order to offer my opinion. :)

Gross.:( I must say her skin looks great..I just wonder where the bondo stops.

And Joyce, I was kidding about the interior stuff just to bust your chops.

Thomas Fiehler

Professional Status
State
Ohio
Joyce-Impossible to guess EA without more information such as: ages of components, what/when remodeling completed, etc.

J in Florida

Professional Status
State
Florida
Does she have permits for all those renovations and reconstruction? Is there any original equipment left?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks